How big is too big?

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
I'm getting ready to build a hutch for my five coturnix quail and I wanted some advice on the size. I want them to be comfy and was thinking of doing a 5×2 hutch but I've heard that too much space will make them "territorial". So, my questions are:

What does territorial mean and is it bad?

How much is too much space per quail?

Should I think even bigger and do a 5×3 hutch?

I'm getting ready to build a hutch for my five coturnix quail and I wanted some advice on the size. I want them to be comfy and was thinking of doing a 5×2 hutch but I've heard that too much space will make them "territorial". So, my questions are:

That’s not really enough space to make them territorial if you have 6-7 yes they can become territorial with to much space but you can fix that by making us smaller or just bigger so they get like 5 square feet per quail which is what you would do in a big aviary but a small cage like that is not to big and can house 6-7 quail comfortably.

There is no such thing as too much space for quail.

There is a point where they're too crammed in to be aggressive with each other (3 birds/square foot) and not crammed in enough but not having enough space, so they fight.

If you are a hobbyist rather than a commercial breeder, the rule is at least one square foot per bird. Remember to subtract the space being used by feeders, waterers, dirt bath, and hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom