How big should my coop be?

8x8 is a convenient shed/coop size. In theory, its big enough for 16 birds, but its very comfortable for 8-12 birds, some nesting boxes, food and water inside in the case of bad weather. Also involves very few cuts of raw materials. Also, it doesn't involve that much more material than a 4x6 or 4x8 shed. Its also wide enough to hang a run off one side that isn;t so narrow that one aggressive/dominant bird can terrorize the whole flock. Which means its also wide enough for a full sized human door w/o having to give up all of one wall and part of another...

You WILL find a way to use the space, trust us on that.

This is a for sure thing! I'm now thinking 7 birds.
Haahaa. My husband was thinking 4 which he never told me... I was thinking 8 because of the breeds I wanted. So I ordered 8 then about 5 weeks later (3 weeks or so before my order was due to come in) I added 2 more onto it. :) so now have 10 coming on thurs. I was going to do a 4x8 coop for the 8 chickens but they convinced me here to do at least 8x8 so decided that and good thing since my # went up before I even got chicks or started building. :) If you have the space and can afford to build it I say go 8x8. I promised my husband I wouldn't add to my # this year........ so we will see what next year brings. :)

Back
Top Bottom