How can I be sure that my hens will use their nesting boxes?

dianneS

Songster
Mar 16, 2009
South Central PA
I'm looking into installing some metal nesting boxes in my henhouse. Currently the hens lay their eggs in nests that they made in the corners of the henhouse. Some are very particular about laying in that exact spot. How do I get my hens to use the nest boxes once they are installed?

I believe most people put either real or fake eggs into the places where they want their chickens to lay in order to give them the right idea. As far as I can tell, it has limited success. Sometimes, chickens will roll the fake eggs out of the new nest and into the old nest. Sometimes, they will start laying in the new place.

I have 11 pullets and at least 6 of them are laying now... and they all use the nesting boxes except one - she lays on the floor of the coop everyday. I can't seem to change her mind, even though there are eggs in the boxes.

One approach is to put the nestboxes in the locations that they're currently putting the floor eggs, and put a fake egg in each nestbox. (And collect any floor eggs that are still laid *as soon as possible*, preferably multiple times per day). After a few weeks, you can move the nestboxes to their ultimate location -- might leave them at floor level a little longer -- and then hopefully when you mount them on the wall the hens will continue using them. This often, but not always, works.

Another approach is to put something in the way of where they are putting their floor eggs, so they can't get there to lay. And put the nestboxes where you want 'em, with fake eggs in. You are likely to have more stray floor eggs to remove this way but if the hens are generally amenable to the nestbox concept it can work too.

It may just take a while of trolling them in with fake eggs while FREQUENTLY going out to remove any floor eggs that've been laid, though -- some hens are stubborn
tongue.png
Most eventually do get the clue. Worst case scenario, you can put a proper nestbox in their preferred floor location - at least it gives you cleaner eggs
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I use a remarkably egg-shaped-and-sized grey rock I found outside, plus a plastic easteregg filled with sand and taped together so it doesn't fall apart.

Of course you can also BUY nest eggs, wooden or ceramic, or make 'em yourself out of Sculpey or whatever.... but, IMO, why bother. Chickens are not real discerning, they'll believe almost anything as long as it is vaguely egglike
tongue.png

Pat

I used easter eggs and they went from laying on the floor to the nest boxes (and they were even red, yellow, orange, etc)...
big_smile.png

After a couple weeks I removed them and no problems with that since.

Back
Top Bottom