How chicken breeds came into being like Australorp

RoosterBird

Chirping
Sep 14, 2021
Okay, I want to ask that arw these breeds made from one animal chicken and they add something of other animal like duck etc in its egg? Or they are only from chicken-chicken?

The Australorp was bred using Orpingtons. I don't know much about their history, but on some breeds like this, you can tell by their names. They will have parts of the breeds used in their names.
But they are just chickens... no one genetically crossed separate species like ducks to make them. Just different chicken breeds.

domestic chickens all come from domesticated junglefowl thousands of years ago. All the breeds we have available now are similar to how we have different dog breeds and cat breeds. a single species adapted and/or were bred to survive where they were being kept then those breeds were bred together to create new ones.
in the case of Australorps they were developed by crossing black Orpingtons imported from the UK, I think they crossed them with Rhode Island Reds then they also added other breeds such as Leghorn, Langshan and Minorca. the resulting breed was called the "black Australian Orpington" before being shortened to "Australorp"

Back
Top Bottom