How cold is too cold for small birds?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
I'm looking to upgrade my birds' aviaries, and they would need to be outdoor aviaries. They are in indoor aviaries right now, but they are just too small for what I want to do.
The bird species I have are budgies, zebra finches, canaries, diamond doves and lovebirds (Fischer and Masked varieties).
I believe the coldest it has ever gotten here is -8 Celsius (17.6 Fahrenheit).
I am looking to put the aviaries 'inside' a shed I have, to there floor is concrete and the aviary pushed up against the tin to give a bit more shelter in the flight and the aviary would also be under the roof.
It will have a wood 3 sided area at the back that they can shelter in, but no heating.
Will they be able to live with this temperature okay?

I'm looking to upgrade my birds' aviaries, and they would need to be outdoor aviaries. They are in indoor aviaries right now, but they are just too small for what I want to do.
The bird species I have are budgies, zebra finches, canaries, diamond doves and lovebirds (Fischer and Masked varieties).
I believe the coldest it has ever gotten here is -8 Celsius (17.6 Fahrenheit).
I am looking to put the aviaries 'inside' a shed I have, to there floor is concrete and the aviary pushed up against the tin to give a bit more shelter in the flight and the aviary would also be under the roof.
It will have a wood 3 sided area at the back that they can shelter in, but no heating.
Will they be able to live with this temperature okay?
I'm sorry but -8 celsius with no heating definitely result in the death of most of the birds there. Heating will be necessary :(

It gets that here and my budgies live outside but i foamed and plasticed the cage and stays way warmer then outside and being in the sun heats it up like a greenhouse yesterday was 35 and inside the cage was 54. Havent lost a single one and my oldest was hatched 2012 heres a video when it was 9 degrees https://fb.watch/b183QEsSQx/

Back
Top Bottom