How did I produce this barred cross?

Seafenton

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
Hello, I have a purebred black australorp rooster who produced the barred cockerel in the photo below. The hen was either a blue australorp, Ancona or (hybrid) leghorn. Does anyone know how they produced the barring and if it would be possible to produce hens with barring from these breeds? Thank you

Attachments

• 4D443A17-82BB-4466-B9A1-A9DDBBF936C3.jpeg
    4D443A17-82BB-4466-B9A1-A9DDBBF936C3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Do you have a pic of the hybrid leghorn? She would be the only possible mother.
That’s interesting from memory the chick came from a white egg which makes sense it was either from the leghorn or ancona. I snuck out to the hen house to get a pic of my leghorn. She has the occasional black feather come thru her white plumage

Attachments

• 7625350C-39AF-462C-B143-05A7578661F4.jpeg
    7625350C-39AF-462C-B143-05A7578661F4.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 21
Barring is also sex linked so any barred chicks from that pair will be cockerels.
So interesting thank you!! She’s my old girl and most of her eggs are infertile. I’m so amazed she can produce such beautiful boys. Thanks for confirming I probably won’t get any hens with barring. It’s a shame but maybe I’ll need to get me some Plymouth Rocks 😆

So interesting thank you!! She’s my old girl and most of her eggs are infertile. I’m so amazed she can produce such beautiful boys. Thanks for confirming I probably won’t get any hens with barring. It’s a shame but maybe I’ll need to get me some Plymouth Rocks 😆

I know this is a bit late, but I just now noticed the thread.

If you want to get barred hens from your chickens, you could cross that barred cockerel to some of your current non-white hens. Half of his chicks should be barred, sons and daughters both. (You cannot use the barring to sex them, when it's coming from the father.)

Back
Top Bottom