How do I get my chickens to understand the coop is " home"?

WNCGamecock

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Western NC
We have 5 week old chickens that just moved to the coop. How do I train them that the coop is home and not the run? Every night we've been rounding up all 20 from the run into the coop and shutting the door on the run. Will they just eventually learn? The run is secured but I'd rather them be in the coop at night. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You could try leaving them in just the coop for a few days with no access to the run.

Also, what I found that has worked for me with my 8, 7-8 week old chicks is to turn a red heat lamp on in the coop when it started getting a little dark. It seemed to me that they didn't want to go into the coop in the evening because it was darker in there than outside at dusk. (They haven't slept without the light yet either.) I'd leave their coop open until they all bedded down under the light then close them up.

Well yesterday they all went in at dusk and were actually trying to roost on the rails close to the light. And tonight I didn't get the light turned on before dusk and I went to check on them and turn it on and found all of them roosting on the rails. Sooo... Tonight we are gonna leave them in the dark since they went in without the light on! :) I'm sure they will be fine, but I will admit we spoil them a little and worry that they might be cold or scared of the dark...
roll.png
big_smile.png

I hope this helps!

Kasey

I am so glad I found this posting. I'm sure I thought something was wrong with my chickens. They've been out in their new home for two days in the mornings. We open up the Coop run and they've started to come out and enjoy themselves. But when it gets dark they won't go back in the in they just huddle in the corner of the chicken yard and we have to gather them all up Stick them through the run door. I would assume that they will eventually get it and go back in at night. I am not at all thrilled that I might have to take my chickens in at night forever. So I will turn the red light on the heat lamp just at dusk and come back and see if they went in, It is my hope that they will get it. THE MORE SUGGESTIONS ON THE SUBJECT WOULD BE HELPFUL

Last edited:
They dont need training at all. As long as there is a perch in the coop for them to sleep on they should go in. They will learn quikly with a perch. Idk your set up or if u have a perch and all that, but they are quik learners. I have a free-range flock and they always go in the coop and on thier perches at night. So I just close the door and I dont have to catch any, they are always in the coop when its time for them to go to sleep! If u have a perch in the run they may just try to sleep there. I am suprised they are not going in. What time are you shutting the coop door (with them in it of course)? My chickens go in on there own around when the sun sets.
Good Luck

I am so glad I found this posting. I'm sure I thought something was wrong with my chickens. They've been out in their new home for two days in the mornings. We open up the Coop run and they've started to come out and enjoy themselves. But when it gets dark they won't go back in the in they just huddle in the corner of the chicken yard and we have to gather them all up Stick them through the run door. I would assume that they will eventually get it and go back in at night. I am not at all thrilled that I might have to take my chickens in at night forever. So I will turn the red light on the heat lamp just at dusk and come back and see if they went in, It is my hope that they will get it. THE MORE SUGGESTIONS ON THE SUBJECT WOULD BE HELPFUL
You should keep them in the coop for a few days, then they will know its home. Our first girls would just set on the ground. We locked them up for 5 or 6 days that was all it took. When I built them a new coop we moved them in and locked them up for 4 days and they were fine. We have little ones in the coop now. they will be locked up for bout 3 weeks. they are too llittle to let out with the bigger girls.
lock yours up for a few days and they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom