How do I integrate my chick with the other chicks?

Kkell28

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
I bought 6 chicks at the same time, one has since passed and one had a hurt leg for several weeks and I had to separate her. Now since she’s been gone for a while the other chicks won’t accept her again. I made a small coop and placed it inside the big coop to let them get used to her for a few days and today I turned her loose in the bigger coop. They kept her separate from them and pecked her when she got close. My question is should I separate her at night still until I know they will let her in the box under the heat lamp? Or leave her out there all of the time. All Chicks are about 2 months old. If it helps to know what the coops looks like we made a chicken tractor type deal, it’s 10x3x4 with a 2x4ft box. So they have an area to run but I haven’t turned them loose in the yard just yet as I think my cats will hurt them.

Adding one bird to many is hard to do... so don't. Watch your chicks, and put some feed down away from them. See who gets to the food first, and who gets to it last - you don't want those birds for this, pick one of them that was in the middle of the race.

Put that bird with your loner, and there might be a bit of a dust up, but not heartless. Wait a day or two, and add one or two more to the pair, wait a day, and add the group back to the rest of the flock.

Mrs K

Adding one bird to many is hard to do... so don't. Watch your chicks, and put some feed down away from them. See who gets to the food first, and who gets to it last - you don't want those birds for this, pick one of them that was in the middle of the race.

Put that bird with your loner, and there might be a bit of a dust up, but not heartless. Wait a day or two, and add one or two more to the pair, wait a day, and add the group back to the rest of the flock.

Mrs K
Thank you so much. I will definitely do that!

Back
Top Bottom