How Do I Keep Geese Out Of The Chicken Coop???

wildash

Hatching
Feb 10, 2016
Hi everyone, I have 60 rescue chickens and 28 geese on my property. My problem is that my geese are getting into the chicken coop and eating all the chicken feed. This poses problems for me as it is expensive and chickens wont enter the coop when a goose in inside.
I have tried everything I can think of to keep the geese out....the problem I have it that some of my ex battery chooks can no longer fly or even jump so having an entry off the ground without a ramp wont work. I have tried ramps but the smart geese still manage to climb up and down. It is not an option to separate the geese from the chickens as I have only one secure free ranging paddock.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif
Can you partially block the entrance to the coop so that only the chickens can enter?

I tried that but you would be amazed what a goose can squeeze through. Also three of my geese are runts and some of my chickens are quite large (not the battery hens but other unwanted ones I've taken on).
thankyou for the suggestion tho :)

I personally use a short piece of hog panel for keeping my geese out of my duck pen when the door is open during the day. The geese and ducks have side by side pens but during the day they are all together. As a result the geese would sometimes end up then the duck pen when one of the ducks was laying. The hag panel has squares big enough for the ducks to go through but the geese can't. The squares seem to be just big enough for my big Swedish ducks to squeeze through. The geese are just a bit to big. Its worked well for me.

Our 2 lady geese started breaking into chicken house. Husband has made various adaptions including reducing size of pop hole. I feel it may just be hormonal as it started towards the end if the egg laying cycle, and just before we were off on holiday, first proper since 2018. We are on plan D or E but the cockeral is not too happy when he wants to roost. His 2 ladies are inside, one on 5 eggs, the other just broody in an empty nest box. Marco, our neighbour and poultry supplier says we have to leave them or they will keeo being broody. We clearly don't want the geese inthe chicken house. We are in Italy. Any ideas would be helpful. Ps thy free range with own goose enclosure and house, which they din't use plus 2 pet sheep twin brothers. The 2 geese preferred to lay their eggs in the sheep house.

Back
Top Bottom