How do i stop my turkey from attacking me?! starting to panic!

TesoroSena

Crowing
Jan 5, 2023
Tennessee
Hello, i am dealing with an issue, regarding my turkey tom attacking me. it is breeding season, and my hen is making her clutch for the season. we are very happy she is raising babies, bc we use them for food and she needs a female companion, since her sister died. Her name is Chip, and her mate, Tom, is becoming very aggressive whenever i enter their run. I understand they become aggressive during mating season, and i am pretty small for a teenager. I love my turkeys dearly, especially babies and i look forward to them all year, but it has gotten to the point where i cant go in there without my mom, whom he wont challenge due to how much bigger she is. I also have a younger sister he threatens. We go in there, and he will ptah at me, and charge, spurs out. i have tried opening my arms to look bigger and ptahing back, but he isnt fooled, and several time i have had to use my boot so defend me and my sister, while we desperately try to open the gate. he hasnt hurt us yet, but it is scary, and i want to be able to see the babies when they hatch. moving him isnt a option for us. if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Hello, i am dealing with an issue, regarding my turkey tom attacking me. it is breeding season, and my hen is making her clutch for the season. we are very happy she is raising babies, bc we use them for food and she needs a female companion, since her sister died. Her name is Chip, and her mate, Tom, is becoming very aggressive whenever i enter their run. I understand they become aggressive during mating season, and i am pretty small for a teenager. I love my turkeys dearly, especially babies and i look forward to them all year, but it has gotten to the point where i cant go in there without my mom, whom he wont challenge due to how much bigger she is. I also have a younger sister he threatens. We go in there, and he will ptah at me, and charge, spurs out. i have tried opening my arms to look bigger and ptahing back, but he isnt fooled, and several time i have had to use my boot so defend me and my sister, while we desperately try to open the gate. he hasnt hurt us yet, but it is scary, and i want to be able to see the babies when they hatch. moving him isnt a option for us. if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it.
Carry a broom with you. Use the sweeping end to keep him at a distance from you. Just use it to push him away. Do not swing it at him or hit him with it.

Never turn your back on him. Never try to hit or kick him.

Carry a broom with you. Use the sweeping end to keep him at a distance from you. Just use it to push him away. Do not swing it at him or hit him with it.

Never turn your back on him. Never try to hit or kick him.
Thanks! Do you think this will make him at least wary of me… or more just precautionary

Thanks! Do you think this will make him at least wary of me… or more just precautionary
It's something you will probably need to always do when dealing with him. He should get to the point that he won't try to approach when he sees the broom but he will still attack if you don't have the broom.

Back
Top Bottom