1 LARGE ONION SLICED
1 FULL BULB GARLIC
1 TBSP. BROWN SUGAR
1 TBSP WHITE SUGAR
4 TBSP VEG. OIL
ABOUT 1/4 GAL APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
ABOUT 1/4 GAL WHITE VINEGAR

BOIL EGGS 15 MIN.

PUT 1 CUP WHITE VINEGAR AND 1 CUP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN GAL. SIZE JAR, THEN PUT BOTH SUGARS, GARLIC , ONION, OIL, PEPPERS (OPTIONAL) IN JAR . PUT LID ON AND SHAKE LIKE CRAZY FOR ABOUT 5 MIN.
DRAIN EGGS, ADD COLD WATER, PEEL.( DO NOT CHILL EGGS TO LONG THE WARMER THEY ARE THE SOONER THEY PICKLE)
PUT PEELED EGGS IN JAR AND TOP OFF 1/2 & 1/2 WITH VINEGARS TO COVER.
LEAVE AT ROOM TEMP FOR 4 DAYS, THEY ARE READY TO EAT. REFRIG. WHEN DONE.

Cleaning: I've been soaking them in vinegar and water for several minutes before I wash them, is that over-doing it?

As for pickling, I'm here to learn also.

What I have read here is that you do not wash your eggs till you are ready to use. They have what is called a bloom on them that is a natural protector it keeps out bacterias, it is natures shield to protect the would be chick. Also you can leave your eggs on the counter for quite sometime. I however prefer to put mine in the fridge when I bring them in unless I will be using them for baking. Just make sure to wash before using.

My step father used to buy a can of pickled beets/a can or jar of hot peppers, yellow wax, jalapenos or whatever type you prefer. He boiled the eggs, peeled them, let them cool in cold water, then placed them in a large jar and pour the liquid and some of the peppers over them then he would add some of the beet liquid and beets. He liked the color. Let them sit in the fridge for 3 days before he'd eat them. Really simple and the do come out pretty good.

Cleaning: I've been soaking them in vinegar and water for several minutes before I wash them, is that over-doing it?

As for pickling, I'm here to learn also.

Yes it is over kill.
welcome-byc.gif
You will find out how to care for the gifts your girls give you for room and board. Just go around on the different threads and see what the more experienced people have to share. There is a wealth of information on this site. Go to the search bar at the top of the page and put in question like How to care for eggs or Too wash or not to wash eggs and see what comes up. You as I have will learn an awful lot here. I used to scrub my eggs with soap and hot water till I learned that was not a good thing to do.

good luck and enjoy your time here.

Back
Top Bottom