How do you guys keep your flock of different birdies all cool in the hot summer states? Ice water and produce- ok; how about the coop?

Iveta

Songster
May 4, 2021
I had split choice for sleeping place yesterday- some of my birds lime the well- ventilated coop outside and some like to take the wall unit inside ( where they found comfort during the cold days in the winter too)..but obviously this comes with the expense of cleaning. Also I need to take longer than few days trips and I need someone to care for my animals OI wonder how others go about it? Give them to a local farm and hope they don't get bullied by other animals or ask someone to come in to feed and clean? What are your experiences?

I use a mister outside so my chickens and ducks have a place to go and cool off. I made my own with a piece of 1/2" poly tubing and some misters. I like the plastic misters, the metal stop up pretty fast. You will need a pressure regulator piece and a backflow preventer. They allow you to just hook up to a water hose. You can also get clips to hook up your poly to the fence and a special piece or just a clamp to close off the end. It's not fool proof but my chickens and ducks all crowd up in front of it on those 100+ days. I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow.

I give frozen treats, generally chopped up goodies like fruit or produce extras in ice cube trays topped with water. I put a shallow kiddie pool for wading, as well as pour water directly in a shady a separate corner for them to cool off. All my coops are located at the base of trees for shade. This year I have LF Cochins and Brahma so I'll be making a new coop with fully removable walls on parallel sides because the summers here can top 100°.

I use a mister outside so my chickens and ducks have a place to go and cool off. I made my own with a piece of 1/2" poly tubing and some misters. I like the plastic misters, the metal stop up pretty fast. You will need a pressure regulator piece and a backflow preventer. They allow you to just hook up to a water hose. You can also get clips to hook up your poly to the fence and a special piece or just a clamp to close off the end. It's not fool proof but my chickens and ducks all crowd up in front of it on those 100+ days. I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow.
this sounds awesome! sounds like something I should do. for even if i let them inside to cool off I can tell they would rather feel a breeze in the back of the house than AC; I have bins of water around for the duck and spray with my hose too-but it requires too much work and they are still occasionally panting and its only May; I must come up with good solution for this summer!

Back
Top Bottom