How do you handle this?

hilltopchicks77

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Hey all! We’re working on becoming certified to sell chicks and hatching eggs. I know lots of you have chickens so I was curious about shipping. I had my first 2 egg shipping experiences this year. One was amazing and one not so much. The second one a few of the eggs were cracked and a few were scrambled and several air cells were detached. Only 3 of the eggs looked good going in, 2 developed and 1 hatched. I understand it’s a gamble ordering hatching eggs but as a seller would you do anything in this case or would you offer to resolve somehow. I’m trying to view this from the other side as well since I will hopefully be selling in the next year. Learning from my own mistakes (or others if anyone wants to share.)

I’ve ordered tons of eggs online since i was looking for breeds not close to me at the time. The only issue I’ve ever had was one farm that just stuck the eggs into an egg carton surrounded by shredded paper. The eggs had one thin layer of bubble wrap around the middle. All of the eggs were broken. They sent me new eggs and only two of those eggs hatched.

Every other place I’ve ordered eggs from wraps their eggs completely in bubble wrap and boxes them surrounded by more bubble wrap. The places that have done this I’ve had better hatch rates from. I still get detached air cells and scrambled eggs. But to a lesser degree. These places have also thrown in a couple extra eggs in case of broken ones.

I would say you don’t have to refund, or replace, anyone’s order unless all the eggs arrive broken. You can’t predict how the post office will handle the eggs. You also don’t know the persons incubator or hatching conditions. There’s a lot of variables when it comes to hatching eggs. You aren’t responsible once they receive the eggs. Unless all of them are broken of course.

I decided to attached pics of the best shipped eggs I've had (litterally had a dozen eggs wrapped up in a tile off a foam alphabet play mat before... not impressed!) To give you another example of how to pack. I got 3 dozen eggs in this delivery, they were stuck together in a wad of bubble wrap, then slipped in one of those pillow sleeve things, more bubble wrap, egg carton, then eggs rolled in tissues (very thickly) and those peanuts used to fill in any extra space in catron. All three dozen developed. The error that led to death was the over candling by a first timer ( I am ashamed) but still my best posted eggs to date. The others ( from 3 different places, dozen each go) were lucky to grow 3 embryos
20190807_160901.jpg
20190807_161008.jpg
20210605_180145.jpg
20210605_180206.jpg

I decided to attached pics of the best shipped eggs I've had (litterally had a dozen eggs wrapped up in a tile off a foam alphabet play mat before... not impressed!) To give you another example of how to pack. I got 3 dozen eggs in this delivery, they were stuck together in a wad of bubble wrap, then slipped in one of those pillow sleeve things, more bubble wrap, egg carton, then eggs rolled in tissues (very thickly) and those peanuts used to fill in any extra space in catron. All three dozen developed. The error that led to death was the over candling by a first timer ( I am ashamed) but still my best posted eggs to date. The others ( from 3 different places, dozen each go) were lucky to grow 3 embryosView attachment 2704630View attachment 2704634View attachment 2704633View attachment 2704635
This is another reason I was asking! The second ones came in foam but it was very soft foam. The first set came very similar to yours. Which I get looking slightly less professional but it held up a lot better in my experience

This is another reason I was asking! The second ones came in foam but it was very soft foam. The first set came very similar to yours. Which I get looking slightly less professional but it held up a lot better in my experience
I din't tink it lookes too bad. Its very uniform. Another thing to check out is tge egg safe. Made from hard styrofoam, then wrap eggs in tissue or bubble to fit snuggly. The only downside is it will drive your costs up, including tge shipping but worth considering.

How often did you candle that lead to death? I'm interested because I candle often during incubation but I have not yet had any egg die because of it. I don't want to be putting them at risk!!!
Thats what I put it down to. I candled most days. And as it was the same eggs each time.... if you haven't had any die then it shouldn't be a problem

Back
Top Bottom