How do you hold a heavy class duck (my white layer)

A boy with ducks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2023
does anyone know how to hold a heavy class duck for 4HI know how to hold a light class duck the three fingers under and the thumb and the pinky holding the legs but does anyone know how to hold a heavy class duck? I’m thinking about bringing my White layer Mallard and khaki Campbell off to the county fair
image.jpg

does anyone know how to hold a heavy class duck for 4HI know how to hold a light class duck the three fingers under and the thumb and the pinky holding the legs but does anyone know how to hold a heavy class duck? I’m thinking about bringing my White layer Mallard and khaki Campbell off to the county fairView attachment 3568892
Are you talking about keeping them still on the table for judging or actually holding them while in line and going up to the table?

View attachment 3569024
Like how you hold light class like this
That's how I held my pekins too when I showed in 4H. Some people held them tucked under one arm and brought the body against their chest so their free arm could take some weight.

If I can catch one of my pekins, I'll get some pictures to show how I've seen my friends hold them for show

That's how I held my pekins too when I showed in 4H. Some people held them tucked under one arm and brought the body against their chest so their free arm could take some weight.

If I can catch one of my pekins, I'll get some pictures to show how I've seen my friends hold them for show
Thanks

Now granted, this is a hybrid Pekin (so a meatie), and is much larger than most ducks.

Here's how you hold them if you can grasp both legs easily and they're calmer
20230707_105919.jpg

If they're not calm, your hand is too small, or you can't support their weight, this is how we were taught to hold, so that they can't flap their wing.
20230707_110004.jpg

Main thing is to hold the bird firm, and make them feel safe and secure.

Back
Top Bottom