How do you know baby chick is through fighting?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
My baby chick can't stand up regardless of all we've done, so he is in a chick chair. He is still too weak to get the food and water in the chick chair. He acts like it's hard to breathe sometimes and all he's getting is what I feed him in a syringe. I can see the hock bone and the Achilles tendon isn't in the groove but I can't seem to fix it. It also was/ may still be infected? The chick seems the same size it hatched but this is day 6. I am so sad, not exactly ready to give up but how can you tell the baby is ready to give up?

My baby chick can't stand up regardless of all we've done, so he is in a chick chair. He is still too weak to get the food and water in the chick chair. He acts like it's hard to breathe sometimes and all he's getting is what I feed him in a syringe. I can see the hock bone and the Achilles tendon isn't in the groove but I can't seem to fix it. It also was/ may still be infected? The chick seems the same size it hatched but this is day 6. I am so sad, not exactly ready to give up but how can you tell the baby is ready to give up?
I would work on giving electrolytes or sugar water by dipping the beak and letting it drink. Do this a few times. Keep the chick warm. Then repeat as often as possible. Offer some raw egg (whipped with a fork) and some watery chick crumbles Look for any dried poo on the vent (pasty butt) and clean off as needed. When they start gasping and become limp, it may be on its way out, but I hope that you can save it. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench is good to have around. Dosage for a chick is 2-3 drops daily, or 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight in older chickens. The opening mouth is normal im pretty sure maybe send a picture of the chick.

I'm so sorry. Sounds like you're doing all that you can. Offer the little one some sugar water or nutridrench. Besides that, all you can do is keep in warm and show it love. I've had several chicks die in my hands and it's never easy, but my biggest comfort was knowing I did all I could and gave that baby a loving life, no matter how long it lived 🫂

Update: Sadly, he passed away. I am glad he's not struggling anymore and I'm so sad I couldn't make him better. His name was Blessing.
I'm so sorry. Blessing is such a sweet name and I'm sure for the short time you had him he was a little blessing... you did all you could. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom