How do you pick a roo?

tigerkitten45

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
NH
I have both a variety of bantams and standard girls, and i have multiple roo's of various ages, i need to get rid of some of them but i am having a hard time deciding which ones. There are 2 silver penciled cochin roos, 1 red cochin roo, 1 black mottled cochin roo, and a mille fleur d'uccle roo, these are all bantams. I also have a standard silver laced wyandotte roo. The youngest ones are 2 bantam OEG roo's, a bantam mottled serama roo, and 3 bantam birchen cochin roo's. I will obviously keep my SL wyandotte roo, as he is my only standard. The bantams however have got to be thinned down, i know i want to get rid of the red cochin, and 1 of the silver penciled roo's but would like to keep my d'uccle roo and my mottled roo, along with my serama roo. At this point my birchen roo's are too young to assess who has the best traits. I intend to keep my original standards and bantams together, right now i have the d'uccle roo, the mottled roo, 1 of the SP roo's and the SL wyandotte roo together and are getting along well. The standard is the youngest in that pen. My serama roo is going to be with another group of younger girls and eventually one of the birchen roo's. There will be 24 hens in the first pen and about 15 in the second pen. Does this sound like it is going to work, or am i gonna need to get rid of another roo?

LOL OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh i am sorry, good luck following that mess! I did not realize how confusing it sounds until i saw it posted!

I just keep the handsome ones.
bow.gif

44102_chicken_chat_015.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Wait until they are a little older & pick the ones that are nice. I've twice removed mean birds. I won't stand for it. Plus you won't really know the personality until they are mature.

Back
Top Bottom