How do you rat/mice proof your coop?

Yes to electric zap traps! One zap and there dead, no blood, easy clean up!
I make sure feed is all cleaned up before night, I use treadle feeders and trays under open feeders and any spills gets cleaned up before dark so no feed is left for mice/rats to scavenge at night.
I have a zap trap on day and night in the wall cavity blocked so chickens can't get to it. My coop has dirt floor but I have deep wire skirt although that doesn't stop them coming, it's the lack of free feed that stops them coming in I think, the only free feed is in the death trap 😂

We had a mouse and rat problem. Catching them by putting some food in a tall bucket with a brick either side so that they could climb in but couldn't get out was very successful, caught squillions of mice every day. However, they had to be drowned to prevent them coming back if I dumped them in the bush. It was the most horrendous thing to have to do so I had to find something else.
I discovered the best thing at Bunnings, an electrocuting trap run by battery.. It is a tunnel with peanut butter as bait at the closed end and a negative and positive electrical plates on the floor. As soon as they put their second foot into the trap and stand on the opposite plate they are instantly electrocuted. We were heartened by the fact the rat doesn't suffer, there is no poison and the dead rodent is just tipped into the bin ready for the trap to be re-peanut buttered and set down to wait for the next customer!
I don't feel so bad killing them because they don't suffer like so many other methods.
I can thoroughly recommend them. They are make by Ratsak.

Back
Top Bottom