How do you train a chicken to be okay with being "football held"?

Ankaa

Songster
Apr 10, 2023
Hello,
I am new at this and have a 9 week old easter egger hen who hates being "football held," (picked up with both hands). Whenever I try to pick her up that way, she puts her feet up trying to perch instead. She is the only chicken in her original flock that does this and is highly stressed by being "football held." Though, I have handled her to help her get used to it since she hatched. The other hens I've done the same with from the same flock now just accept it or seem to enjoy it. Is there another way I can work with her to help her overcome the stress? She's never been very food motivated. Thank you for your thoughts.

Hold her tight against your body with one hand and gently hold her feet (not legs) with your other hand. Holding her like how you are is very frightening to her. By holding her against your body, you're making her feel more secure. By holding her feet or just placing your hand under them so she can grip them like a perch, you're making her feel like she's not going to fall.

If she's not comfortable with the football hold yet, then I don't suggest holding her that way. She can accidentally claw her chest and if you're not aware of her doing that, your hen can have some major health issues down the road. (Infection from the injury, abscess, etc.) Hold her how she'll feel the most comfortable and make sure her feet aren't dangling.

Trying to train her to be comfortable with the football hold often doesn't work. Some hens just don't want to be held at all. If you pay close attention, you might be able to see that her body is tenser than your other chickens when you hold her. Hens like her shouldn't be held much, if at all. If you need to move her from one place to another, try leading her or coaching her with treats. Teaching her to come to her name is a great way to get her from one place to another.

Hold her tight against your body with one hand and gently hold her feet (not legs) with your other hand. Holding her like how you are is very frightening to her. By holding her against your body, you're making her feel more secure. By holding her feet or just placing your hand under them so she can grip them like a perch, you're making her feel like she's not going to fall.

If she's not comfortable with the football hold yet, then I don't suggest holding her that way. She can accidentally claw her chest and if you're not aware of her doing that, your hen can have some major health issues down the road. (Infection from the injury, abscess, etc.) Hold her how she'll feel the most comfortable and make sure her feet aren't dangling.

Trying to train her to be comfortable with the football hold often doesn't work. Some hens just don't want to be held at all. If you pay close attention, you might be able to see that her body is tenser than your other chickens when you hold her. Hens like her shouldn't be held much, if at all. If you need to move her from one place to another, try leading her or coaching her with treats. Teaching her to come to her name is a great way to get her from one place to another.
Thank you for such an in-depth response Lacy. I will try to hold her tight against my body with one hand so she feels more secure and gently hold her feet so she feels grounded when I need to pick her up. She wants to be on me all the time and will jump to me, just doesn't like being football held. Recently, I've instead started letting her "step up" on my arm like my cockatiel or lay on my lap when she feels like it. She's currently half asleep on my shoulder/half watching me type. Edit: Also hi fellow nd

She wants to be on me all the time and will jump to me, just doesn't like being football held. Recently, I've instead started letting her "step up" on my arm like my cockatiel or lay on my lap when she feels like it. She's currently half asleep on my shoulder/half watching me type.
Do you let your other birds do this?
Her reaction at being held might be a lack of submission thing, she feels dominant over you.

Back
Top Bottom