How is Chase Hatchery?

Chase Hatchery can post for themselves and we don't appreciate NDJILI attacking our customers. We stated when you bought chicks from us that they were not vaccinated, there are plenty of places to buy vaccinated chicks, we have every right to choose to vaccinate or not, it actually happens to be very very rare (way less than 1% in our experience) that any chickens come back with any issues of possible anything from not being vaccinated.

*We stand by our decision to not vaccinate until we know that the eggs the chickens will be producing will not be harmful to humans if the chicken is vaccinated. We get many requests to NOT vaccinate because yes they are chickens, animals, however the fact that they will be producing food (eggs) that will be feeding human beings, children, parents, family members, we will be looking into those things and will be putting human life over the life of a chicken.

As I stated, we started out very small just like many backyard chicken hobbyist. We started hatching fertilized eggs from a neighbors coop and was just doing hatching projects with our family then sold the hatched chicks from there. After two years into this, we started buying different breeds of eggs off KSL just like many other chick hobbyist here in Utah. The chickens that are in question were bought from those eggs we got from other backyard chicken hobbyists, no they were not vaccinated and no I could not verify the source to ensure the health of the parents, just like anyone else buying chicks or fertilized eggs on KSL from backyard chicken hobbyist. -BUT- we wanted to do more and now as of this year are only buying fertilized eggs from NPIP Certified sources. Any chick that comes from an NPIP Certified source, the parents are tested and vaccinated for many known diseases.

Last edited:
First Chase hatchery, Luvpolish was the one who called those with bad experiences names. I'm sorry but I suspect Luvpolish and chase hatchery to be one in the same. Also, having more than one person have chickens die from Marek's type illness and having a necropsy show with one customer that their chickens had either Marek's or Leukosis isn't a small matter. It's great that you're attempting to make changes but let's see if it lasts. And hopefully the pullets had leukosis because if they had Marek's the problem still persists.
I'm not attacking I'm trying to keep others from the horror I and others went through all last summer/fall. Much heartbreak and much tears. Even now, with new pullets that are vaccinated (because I don't have a choice), I
Pray every night that they are ok and the vaccination works and I don't have to keep going through this nightmare.

I'm done talking to and about chase hatchery (well, unless I lose any more chickens). I am just putting up a warning. And if you want to buy there, wait a few months and see if this time the owner can keep the facility clean and there are no more issues with disease.

First, no Luvpolish isn't Chase Hatchery, they are a happy customer that bought a beautiful flock of chicks from us this year (2016).

Second, we acknowledge that we don't vaccinate our chicks, we also acknowledge that we've learned better procedures from growing a small hobby into a small business. All you've been able to state is you (and your sister) had a chicken die from you don't know what and can't confirm what. Just as we stated in an earlier post a bird flying overhead could drop any number of diseases into your yard.

Third, the research we've found on vaccinating chicks is it's very rare, depending on the area, for there to be any issue or need to vaccinate and even when vaccinated doesn't give them credible protection against the diseases it's supposed to protect them against.

PLEASE where you don't know the details on your isolated situation, be more considerate on where you throw blame.

Last post for clarification. First my sister and I bought a bunch of sex chicks, 80% (of surviving chicks) turned out to be male. We lost several immediately due to coccidiosis. Made sure we had medication for said coccidiosis after that. Bought more pullets last year, after an animal attacked and killed all but one chicken. After that, the chickens are in a protected run, free from outside influences. Bought more pullets last year to replace the lost flock. EVERY one of these new pullets died from Marek's like symptoms. I hadn't even mentioned the fact that I got the pullets home at 7 pm the first night ( I live 10 minutes away from chase hatchery) and at 7 am there was bloody feces everywhere. Began treatment for coccidiosis immediately, nearly lost them but they pulled through. Don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. The pullets also came with a lovely mite infestation. The facility at Chase 2 years ago was in a garage. Chicks were crammed into filthy brooders and it smelled awful. It was filthy. Later that summer, when exchanging the one and only rooster I exchanged due to her having a pullet of same breed and age, chase had built a nice new shed and run. It looked great. I thought that perhaps, chase hatchery was trying to clean up its act. It's why I gave them a chance and bought more pullets last year. When I got there the run was in front of the shed, there was chicks running around everywhere, along with turkeys, grown hens and ducks. The shed was filthy, there was at least and inch of filth covering the run, along with a few dirty waterers and feeders. There's plenty of posts here and on chicken forums on Facebook that weren't impressed with the conditions. Whether or not chase hatchery vaccinates or not isn't being discussed. It's the fact that care and precautions weren't taken for several years. This year chase claims yet another new facility and certified eggs. That's all well and good but after watching 4 pullets die from Marek's like symptoms, one by one, I came online looking for other reviews and saw that there was at least one other person who bought pullets in the same time frame. They were able to get a necropsy done after losing 3 or 4 pullets to same symptoms and found it was either Marek's or Leukosis. If it's Marek's, that doesnt go away, it stays on the property for years and could be transferred to each unvaccinated chick. The chance is there. Of course Chase will defend themselves, but I feel they know more about the health issues people have had than they are willing to admit (due to their constant need to tell us they have better stock now) and then passing blame into everything else under the sun. I truly hope Chase had indeed learned from past mistakes and cleaned up their act. They sell live animals and those animals should be kept in the cleanest conditions possible and cared for properly. It's fine if you dont want to vaccinate but vaccinations don't place humans at risk of anything so I'm not understanding your comments about human health coming first. But if there was a problem with chase in the past, that disease could linger and so not vaccinating could be playing Russian roulette when it comes to spreading disease. I used to be totally against vaccinated chicks, but now, after experiencing the devestation I and others experienced last year I have no choice. As I said, I have 4 pullets I bought as vaccinated chicks. I can't help but watch everything so closely waiting to see it this disease will rear it's ugly heard once again. I love my chickens, I'm passionate about my chickens, losing chickens in the manner with which I lost them is devestating. I just suggest if people want the rare breeds chase offers, wait and make sure that this year they really have turned their buisness around. Also don't order online. Check the hatch dates and go there in person. Check the place out. Make sure it's clean and the animals are well cared for. Do some research on the breeds you want. Make sure you know what the chicks look like (we had several mixed breeds or incorrect breeds in our order). Chase offers some amazing rare beeds, and I agree that the quality of the chickens, that actually are what they say they are, is really nice. Lovely birds with good temperaments. But the quality of birds hasn't been my issue. For me it is the condition in which the birds were kept in as well as some possible serious health and disease issues. If you do take the chance, I'd get them right on their hatch date and bring them straight home and vaccinate myself.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that accusing the hatchery of creating a fake account and giving positive feedback is a pretty serious accusation. Now as to whether that is the case of not I cannot say. However I can say that it is highly likely that there are several pleased customers that will leave feedback in this thread. We cannot assume anything positive is false. That is too cynical. I am sorry about your losses and again have no reason to not believe your experience. I do hope you find a hatchery that works our better for you.

I also wouldn't buy from Chase hatchery again. Too much risk for my size flock. I did have my chicken necropsied and I do know what 3/4 hens died of. My pullets also came with coccidiosis and she had meat birds that are not sexed housed with sexed pullets which is how I ended up with a meat bird rooster (one of the three losses). I would encourage you to contact other hatcheries and talk to many poultry breeders and do what you feel good about. For me, it isn't worth the risk to buy from Chase in the future.

Don't go to Chase Hatchery. The place is full of filth and disease. After the year of death I had last year thanks to her chickens I almost gave up on owning chickens. She sells straight run chicks as Sexed, some end up being mixed breeds, and be prepared to deal with illness and death. It's sad because the stock is good but it's not worth it.
That has not been my experience with them. They were accused of abusing the chickens a few years ago and it turned out it want them However, the rumor sticks. I got beautiful birds from them. All hens and exactly the breeds i wanted.

9C651303-DA7C-401D-8194-5DDA5115D8BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom