How long can a hen leave her eggs before they die?

My broody Serama hen is similar. It all started exactly a week ago when I came home to find one of my Serama hens sitting on 4 eggs. I thought she was broody until she got up and never came back. I held up a different Serama hen to the nest box and I swear as soon as she saw those eggs she just flipped a switch and became broody. She immediately shrieked and started sitting on the eggs. The only problem is on her first few days of being broody, she would get off the eggs for long periods of time and just go hang out with her friends outside. I would get worried when she was off the eggs for more than 15 or 20 minutes so I would put her back in the nest and she would settle on the eggs. Another issue is that I feel like the other hens will continue to lay eggs in her developing nest. I put another nest box for them but I don't know if they are using it. I have been away for a few days but im hoping when I go back to check on them tomorrow she is sitting on the eggs longer and they are no additional eggs in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom