How long can you hide a rooster in the city?

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
So apparently one of my turken chicks has decided that he is a cockerel.

He is a family favorite (of course) and around 6 weeks old.

I live in (farm) town where I can’t have roosters, but I have a realtor looking for some land for me. I only live on 8000sqft of land, with a section of the yard with privacy fences dedicated to the chickens. It is an old town but our little old houses are smashed together like sardines in a can.

I imagine in the next few months (6 months max) I will have a few acres where I can have a rooster.

Im not in a hurry on buying land. I’m visiting properties, but I need it to be right.

So if I keep my boy, and he starts crowing in the meantime… would a crow collar work temporarily on a turken? Would it irritate his fragile skin too much?

Or should I go the route of trying to get him a temporary foster home instead? How long can I possibly keep this dude under wraps??!

:)

46D9F31B-CF4F-4C44-82CB-D36D7373911D.jpeg

So apparently one of my turken chicks has decided that he is a cockerel.

He is a family favorite (of course) and around 6 weeks old.

I live in (farm) town where I can’t have roosters, but I have a realtor looking for some land for me. I only live on 8000sqft of land, with a section of the yard with privacy fences dedicated to the chickens. It is an old town but our little old houses are smashed together like sardines in a can.

I imagine in the next few months (6 months max) I will have a few acres where I can have a rooster.

Im not in a hurry on buying land. I’m visiting properties, but I need it to be right.

So if I keep my boy, and he starts crowing in the meantime… would a crow collar work temporarily on a turken? Would it irritate his fragile skin too much?

Or should I go the route of trying to get him a temporary foster home instead? How long can I possibly keep this dude under wraps??!

:)

View attachment 2783888
Having your friends or family take care of him is the best option. Crow collars aren’t the most effective, and having something tight around his neck will probably panick him. You’ll probably be able to keep him for 3-4 months longer before he starts crowing. How strict is your neighboorhood about the no rooster rule? If it isn’t really enforced you could probably keep him until you found the right property.

A crow collar would make him distressed and possibly suffocate him. I’d talk to your neighbours about it say that your looking for a property and he hasn’t started crowing yet, and if they’ll mind if he crows. If they do mind then I’d start looking for a temporary home for him once he starts crowing. If they say it’s okay and you still somehow get reported to council I think they’d give you a time limit to re-home him by before they remove him and most likely have him culled.

Back
Top Bottom