How long do geese live??

wvcruffler

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Elkins, WV
Howdy all,
We have a gray goose here on the farm who has been here at least since 1992 and may have been a couple years old then. How long do they live?? As a frame of reference there may have been more than 100 ducks live and die here since then, but Gus the goose keeps on going. He has 2 pekin ducks he keeps as pets right now and is wintering with the chickens in their pen. He free ranges the farm when the snow is off the ground and has not been killed yet. Anyway, I was just curious.
Phil

I think generally it's believed that males can live longer than the females because they don't have to put so much energy into egg making.

Lou Horton has this to say found here: http://www.acornhollowbantams.com/about_geese.cfm?id=35

&quot
;Geese do not suffer from many health problems and can be quite long lived. There have been reports of geese attaining an age of over 100 years but frankly, I find that hard to believe. I know from personal experience, however, that they can live to 25 years of age or more when cared for properly."

Then he posts this picture:

36 Year Old Goose
36%20Year%20old%20goose.jpg

"Geese do not suffer from many health problems and can be quite long lived. There have been reports of geese attaining an age of over 100 years but frankly, I find that hard to believe. I know from personal experience, however, that they can live to 25 years of age or more when cared for properly."

I felt that that was probably true. Thank you for sharing.​

Dunno if anyone keeps track of Pringles at facebook, but here's what Pringles the Goose told us today:

"Pringles is amazed, our new goose is over 38 years old. His mom has dementia now and thats why she probably could no longer care for him properly. She must have done something right to keep him alive for close to 40 years. Pringles is worried now about his mom getting dementia and will someone take care of Pringles ...in 40 years? Pringles has Catie though, he is glad for that : )"

wow, that is a long time!

So ganders live for 40ish years; how about geese? How many years does egg-laying shave off their lives? Are the ganders terribly lonely when their geese pass?

Here's a picture of Pringle's new friend:

18073_1394434940327_1215780442_1164415_5565073_n.jpg

They are thinking right now that he may be a she because of size. They don't sex full grown geese especially when they are sick, so they try to judge based on behavior. They will know more as Grandma Mary (that's the gooses name) gets better.

Grandma Mary (as we call her) is back at the rescue. The son of the original owner adopted her so he could take her for visits to see his mom. She is obviously two years older than she was the last time we had her. She doesnt have much time left I am afraid.

I am working on getting some history on her from the family to confirm the age etc.

390901_2850588423254_1215780442_3291345_1771631203_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom