How long do respiratory infections last?

NashChic

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Nashville, TN
I have a 2 year old Barred Rock hen with what I believe is an upper respiratory infection, but I've had zero experience with that type of illness in my flock.

She showed no signs of illness until day before yesterday (Tuesday morning) my DH came in and said she didn't seem as perky as usual and she seemed to be favoring one of her eyes. He immediately thought injury, I immediately thought infection. Her left eye had a slightly puffy ring around it, but no nasal drainage or other symptoms besides slight lethargy. So we quarantined her and I began to look for solutions. I decided to put her on Tylan 50 if I could find it, Duramycin 10 if I couldn't find Tylan. The local co-op only carried Tylan 200 & was out of Duramycin 10. The woman working the counter asked me what I needed it for & when I told her she said they'd been selling out of the Duramycin 10 for chickens because something was going around :barnie

Anyway, I ended up finding Tylan 50 at a TSC. By the time I got home with it later that afternoon, her bad eye was really swollen (almost shut) and she had clear nasal discharge on that same side. I treated her with 1/2ml Tylan 50 injectable given orally at 3pm and again at 11:30pm (Tuesday - Day 1). The next day (yesterday - Day 2) she received 3/4ml at 8:30am & 8:30pm. This morning (Day 3) I gave her 3/4ml at 8:30am. In addition to her regular food/water (which she seems to be eating), she's also been getting plain Greek yogurt, crumbled boiled egg, and a few meal worms. We plan to treat with the Tylan orally twice a day for 5 days total.

The swelling around her eye has improved quite a lot and her eye is fully open. Her breathing sounds like a percolator and she still has some clear nasal discharge, but she's eating good and pooping normally from what I can tell. She didn't lay yesterday or today.

So my question is, how long do these things last? How much improvement should I be seeing with the Tylan after 5 doses (2 days) or should I try something else? I read a lot of forum posts about Tylan 50 and got a lot of differing info about dosing... Once a day, twice a day, 1/2ml for full grown LF hen, 1ml for full grown LF hen...

I've just never dealt with anything like this before and I want to make sure I'm not missing something and I'm giving her the best opportunity for recovery. If anyone has any advice or experience with this type of illness, any information would be appreciated.

Thankfully, nobody else seems to be showing any signs of illness at this time.

For anyone giving Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 orally or by injection, 1 ml of Tylan 50 equals 1/4 ml of Tylan 200. Tylan 200 is a bit concentrated for an injection into a chicken, but it can be given orally. Dosage according to this page out of Plumb's Veterinary Handbook says that dosage is 5 to 20 mg per pound given 2 or 3 times daily. Tylan 50 contains 50 mg per ml. I would probably give a barred rock 1 ml twice a day.

LL

Thanks! I will up the dose from 3/4ml to 1ml tomorrow.

I realize we don't know exactly what type of infection this is, but if she's going to recover do you have any idea when I should expect to stop seeing symptoms?

Also, is 5 days of Tylan a good course? And if so, what should I do if she's still symptomatic after that?

Now I'm confused...

Each day she has seemed to make small improvements. This morning her swollen left side was almost normal, her breathing sounded much better, and her nose wasn't really running. I've checked on her a couple times throughout the day and she seemed fine. I thought she was well on her way to recovery. Just now I looked in on her and her original swollen left side is still looking good, but her RIGHT side is now swollen and her eye is runny and almost closed!!

Is this normal?!?! For it to improve on one side then show up on the other? Does this mean the Tylan 50 isn't working and I should change antibiotics or something?

Just to recap the timeline... She showed the first slight symptoms Tuesday morning & I started Tylan 50 that same afternoon. Small, but regular improvements since then. We're on Day 4 of Tylan 50.

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom