How long do your molts last??

Mar 30, 2023
Petaluma, CA
Seems as though my poor girls have been molting for over a month now... I feel so bad for them. I can tell they're uncomfortable, and I worry that this is what has been contributing to the strife and conflict in my aviary for the past ~6-8 weeks. I know they're molting, because it's the right time of year, they're looking ratty, I picked one up yesterday that was absolutely covered head to tail in pinfeathers (the poor dear), and the aviary is full of fallen feathers.

They spend most of their time these days just hiding, or chasing/attacking each other. I know it's normal to be cranky during a molt, and I'm trying to wait it out, but I'm starting to fear how long this might go on for... How long do your quails' molts typically last? Where have my happy little borbs gone? :hit

Seems as though my poor girls have been molting for over a month now... I feel so bad for them. I can tell they're uncomfortable, and I worry that this is what has been contributing to the strife and conflict in my aviary for the past ~6-8 weeks. I know they're molting, because it's the right time of year, they're looking ratty, I picked one up yesterday that was absolutely covered head to tail in pinfeathers (the poor dear), and the aviary is full of fallen feathers.

They spend most of their time these days just hiding, or chasing/attacking each other. I know it's normal to be cranky during a molt, and I'm trying to wait it out, but I'm starting to fear how long this might go on for... How long do your quails' molts typically last? Where have my happy little borbs gone? :hit
"Quail molt twice a year, at the beginning of spring and at the end of fall. The molting process can last as little as two weeks. However, the post-nuptial molt can last four and a half to five months." - Google AI.

It would probably help them through a molt and grow feathers back a little faster if you gave them some high protein "treats" like alfalfa, a couple of meal worms, ground up dry cat food, etc.

Back
Top Bottom