How long for broody hen to lay eggs again

I'm having the same issue. My broody wouldn't break, so I incubated eggs and gave her chicks which are 8 weeks old now. Another hen went broody once the chicks were out in the coop and she began to follow around the first broody hen with the chicks. Begrudgingly, the initial broody hen finally allowed the second broody hen to help her care for the five chicks. Now, they both share in the responsibility of caring for the chicks as if they both hatched the clutch of eggs. My problem, neither hen is laying eggs and hasn't been for 8 weeks. The initial broody did molt after going broody. The other broody did not molt, that I can tell. My roo has completely left both of these girls alone until yesterday. Will his new interest in them encourage them to begin laying eggs again? How do I encourage them to stop eating the starter/grower feed I offer the chicks and to eat the egg layer feed?
Initial broody is a Black Copper Marans and second is Columbian Wyandotte.

I'm having the same issue. My broody wouldn't break, so I incubated eggs and gave her chicks which are 8 weeks old now. Another hen went broody once the chicks were out in the coop and she began to follow around the first broody hen with the chicks. Begrudgingly, the initial broody hen finally allowed the second broody hen to help her care for the five chicks. Now, they both share in the responsibility of caring for the chicks as if they both hatched the clutch of eggs. My problem, neither hen is laying eggs and hasn't been for 8 weeks. The initial broody did molt after going broody. The other broody did not molt, that I can tell. My roo has completely left both of these girls alone until yesterday. Will his new interest in them encourage them to begin laying eggs again? How do I encourage them to stop eating the starter/grower feed I offer the chicks and to eat the egg layer feed?
They're going to eat the grower feed because it tastes better (judging from my flocks attitudes towards choices). They'll start laying once they wean the chicks. They haven't weaned them yet though. Likely, mama will wean first, and then Auntie will wean in another few weeks.

Thank you so much :D
I appreciate everyone in this community. The generosity of knowledge and experience everyone has collected over the years of their caring for these wonderful birds. I always have peace of mind knowing I can come here and share my issues and someone will be willing to help. I care a great deal for my birds, and I'd feel terrible if one died due to my ignorance of care. It's nice to have this resource of information available to help me figure out any issues if there is a problem.
Thanks again, BYC Community

Back
Top Bottom