How long for hatched duckling to stand?

Ashmt51

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Upstate NY
I have a duckling that finished hatching today. It was an assisted hatch as it was shrink wrapped into egg. She also had unabsorbed yolk which I wrapped her and the bottom half of egg in damp paper towel so she could finish which she did this am before pushing out of the egg sometime before 6 am. It’s 2:45 now and she still hasn’t stood or anything. She looks like she’s trying to she’s been pushing herself around incubator but can’t get her head up? Is this normal? I am not sure if it’s Normal or wry neck? Not sure of breed I am thinking runner.

I have a duckling that finished hatching today. It was an assisted hatch as it was shrink wrapped into egg. She also had unabsorbed yolk which I wrapped her and the bottom half of egg in damp paper towel so she could finish which she did this am before pushing out of the egg sometime before 6 am. It’s 2:45 now and she still hasn’t stood or anything. She looks like she’s trying to she’s been pushing herself around incubator but can’t get her head up? Is this normal? I am not sure if it’s Normal or wry neck? Not sure of breed I am thinking runner.
How is your duckling doing? Has it started to walk and stand yet? I'm guessing it's tired after the difficult hatch.

How is your duckling doing? Has it started to walk and stand yet? I'm guessing it's tired after the difficult hatch.
No, it is still not walking... it looks a little stronger but is having difficulty holding its head up and keeps rolling to its side when it tries to stand. I am assuming it still needs time to gain some strength as it did have a horrible time coming into this world. I have been giving it some water with nutridrench hoping it would help. From what I can tell it doesn’t have splay leg and I moved it to a little brooder since it’s eggmates haven’t hatched yet I don’t know what’s going on with them ethier... No movement or internal pipping but today waS supposed to be hatch day and the little one was a couple days early.

No, it is still not walking... it looks a little stronger but is having difficulty holding its head up and keeps rolling to its side when it tries to stand. I am assuming it still needs time to gain some strength as it did have a horrible time coming into this world. I have been giving it some water with nutridrench hoping it would help. From what I can tell it doesn’t have splay leg and I moved it to a little brooder since it’s eggmates haven’t hatched yet I don’t know what’s going on with them ethier... No movement or internal pipping but today waS supposed to be hatch day and the little one was a couple days early.
Aww poor thing! :( Good idea giving him water, he needs to get his strength up. Don't really have anything else to suggest. Give him a curled up towel or something else soft in the brooder to cuddle up against maybe.
Hopefully his buddies will arrive soon to keep him company. :fl

Aww poor thing! :( Good idea giving him water, he needs to get his strength up. Don't really have anything else to suggest. Give him a curled up towel or something else soft in the brooder to cuddle up against maybe.
Hopefully his buddies will arrive soon to keep him company. :fl
After I wrote this he started to walk around so yay! I am going to get him a couple friends from someone who just had runners hatch this past weekend just in case these eggs are dead in shell. I don’t want him to be alone.

Unfortunately the other two eggs were dead in shell... I had a feeling they were. Poor things look like they were too big to turn in the egg to pip and may have pipped their yolks. Membranes were pretty dried and white also. I thought I had the humidity up enough 😢. I did get Ricky two friends from someone who hatched some runners this past weekend. I think she’s happy with her new friends Lucy and Ethel. Now to figure out what type of duck little Ricky is 🤔

Attachments

• 4451D03D-91FE-4FC7-9DAC-A22BBC45F7F6.jpeg
    4451D03D-91FE-4FC7-9DAC-A22BBC45F7F6.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom