How long is too long for a hen to not lay an egg?

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
Assuming there’s no hidden nest (it’s possible I haven’t found it yet), and the hen is not egg bound (haven’t been able to feel anything/she’s acting fine-eating/drinking is normal and she’s living her best chicken life running around the yard), and the others aren’t eating it (no sign of yolk, shell, etc.) how long is it acceptable for a hen to not lay an egg?

Hen in question is a 1 year old Asian black who had been a fairly consistent layer since January (skipping 2 days at times between eggs), but has had some small, some soft shell, some bumpy, etc eggs. Last Weds I brought her in the house because I thought she was dealing with some heat exhaustion (walking funny, panting, not really eating/drinking, and just plopping down). Best I can tell it was actually impacted crop so I treated her so. After a day of massages and coconut oil she perked you (tail back to being held high, energy levels up, and her normal self) so I put her back outside. She may have laid 1 egg since then, so now it’s been over a week. Should I be concerned? Or chalk it up to stress? Or assume there’s a hidden nest I just haven’t found? (They’ve all been so good about going back to the nesting box to lay wherever they’ve been in the yard.)

Is she a pet? If so and she's eating/drinking/active, then leave her alone and let her enjoy life.
She may be getting ready to molt too - consider that!

If production is your goal, then keep a continual flock of relatively new and fresh laying hens and sell them off each year during molt so you keep a supply of eggs.

Is she a pet? If so and she's eating/drinking/active, then leave her alone and let her enjoy life.
She may be getting ready to molt too - consider that!

If production is your goal, then keep a continual flock of relatively new and fresh laying hens and sell them off each year during molt so you keep a supply of eggs.
Oh she’s definitely a pet. We only have 4 hens. I was considering maybe getting ready to molt. Just want to be proactive and make sure I’m not missing anything. I realize they don’t lay every day, just wasn’t sure if there was an “If they don’t lay in X amount of days you should be worried.”

Back
Top Bottom