How long it too long for broody behavior?

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
I have a hen who I thought possibly was sitting on a some fertile eggs (I have a rooster) but none of the eggs were fertilized. She sat on 5 eggs for 28 days, they were all bad. Anyways I took her off them and took the nest away from her. She's now sitting on another nest with eggs.

I am not opposed to having more chicks so I'd be okay with her giving it another go, however is this unhealthy for her?

I do take her off the eggs for food and water once a day she usually is off for maybe 15-20 minutes.

Thanks!

It is common for them to brood up to 5 to even 6 weeks. This would be stretching her a bit, and she may not go the distance.

On the other hand, she may be of the temperament that she won't quit until she sees chicks.

You may choose to see how it goes and give her chick electrolytes and starter food to boost her strength.

lofMc

Also, I should add, don't let it go to 28 days like you did before. Literally, if you KNOW when the eggs were set (and you should purposely set all the eggs the same day), by day 22 what has hatched has hatched. Most of my broodies have the chicks by day 20 with a straggler on day 21....by day 22 you should be candling and pulling undeveloped, unhatched eggs to allow the hen to attend to the chicks.

Also, you can avoid a wasted brood by candling the eggs. I check on day 5 to 7 (depending on my schedule). At that point you should see a jelly bean spot with road map of veins. Any clears I pull. Those which are ambiguous I allow to continue. Then I candle again at day 14. By this point you should have a dark blob at one end of the egg and air space at the other. Any clear, or blood rings, I pull.

This avoids rotten eggs breaking and messing things up for those that are hatching. It also allows me to restart a hen early in the game if things are not going well. This helps me not over extend a hen to where her health is at risk. (And again, I have a number of hens that won't quit brooding until they see chicks....so I use those gals early in my year with a few eggs to build my flock each year.)

Good luck.
LofMc

This time of year, it is easy to get chicks, get a couple of chicks and stick them under her in the night. When you get the chicks, make sure they have a drink of water, and a bit of feed, wait until dark. Put them outside and let them get a little chilled, they should be peeping madly. Let her hear them, say for 15 minutes.

Then in as complete darkness as you can manage, stick the chicks under her. They should burrow in tight to this lovely warm place, and the movement under her, will change the broody into an active mom. The chicks should go silent, and the broody should change her cluck, but the important thing is to leave her alone with them the rest of the night.

That way, she does not have to go another 3 weeks.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom