How long should i leave my eggs in the incubator???

eshez

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2023
A few days ago I, 35 of my 52 chicks hatched over a couple of days. The others were either candled and discarded, or were found dead in their egg. But there are still 6 more. How long should I leave them in for? I have heard people say that day 25 is the usually the point to discard them. My youngest ones are on day 23 at the moment. I have not picked up any movement, so that is not a good sign. Please help! I don't know weather or not to help them. (I have learnt that lesson)

A few days ago I, 35 of my 52 chicks hatched over a couple of days. The others were either candled and discarded, or were found dead in their egg. But there are still 6 more. How long should I leave them in for? I have heard people say that day 25 is the usually the point to discard them. My youngest ones are on day 23 at the moment. I have not picked up any movement, so that is not a good sign. Please help! I don't know weather or not to help them. (I have learnt that
Are there any pips? Either external or internal? Do you hear any chirping coming from the eggs?
Depending on if you have pips and chirps I would leave them another day or so. If you don’t hear anything or have pips i would choose an egg and slowly start to crack it at the air cell end. Just peel away some of the shell and see if its alive. If it is go until day 25 if no signs of life you probably won’t be hatching the last ones. Lots of things can happen at the very end that cause them to die right before hatching.
That’s the part about hatching i hate. 😞
Good luck!​

:(I know right! I have not seen or heard any movement sadly. I have tried (on this hatch) With an egg to open and see what was inside, only to find a dead chick. Do you think there would still be a chance that some are alive and still have the chance to be saved or should i just open the eggs regardless?

:(I know right! I have not seen or heard any movement sadly. I have tried (on this hatch) With an egg to open and see what was inside, only to find a dead chick. Do you think there would still be a chance that some are alive and still have the chance to be saved or should i just open the eggs regardless?
In my opinion, they’re probably dead. When your other chicks hatched the incubator gets really humid from the wet chicks and the spike in this humidity leads to sticky chick. It makes it hard, nearly impossible for the chick to move its head out from under the wing so it can start pipping.
This has been a problem for me as well when I have hatched alot of eggs at once. Some are ready sooner and some are late bloomer’s. If there’s no signs of life you could probably consider them dead. In my own personal experience, nothing ever hatched after day 23. But that’s MY EXPERIENCE.

Yeh i think your right. I will probably candle them tomorrow and see if there is any movement. If not i will check and see. I will let you know how it goes. Thankyou so much for your help!

Hi again! I decided not to candle them and cracked them into a bucket. I did it gently in case any were still alive. I got 3 dead chicks, 1 egg yolk, and 2 with guts and stuff. I feel so bad, because the dead chicks were shrink wrapped and it might have been my fault because i did open the incubator couple of times to take chicks out while those ones were still unhatched. :(

Hi again! I decided not to candle them and cracked them into a bucket. I did it gently in case any were still alive. I got 3 dead chicks, 1 egg yolk, and 2 with guts and stuff. I feel so bad, because the dead chicks were shrink wrapped and it might have been my fault because i did open the incubator couple of times to take chicks out while those ones were still unhatched. :(
Thanks for the update… but don’t be hard on yourself about it. This is the same thing i have run into when filling my incubator. You have to do what is best for the majority.

Back
Top Bottom