how long should I wait?

Hambug

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
Hi all, this is my first time incubating eggs and I have a little situation. I had 8 eggs that all pipped at the very end of day 19 into day 20. of those 8 there are 6 that have fully hatched and fluffed out. I have two eggs that haven't made any progress beyond the first small pip, how long should I leave the other ones in and wait on them?
Also if they don't hatch what could be the potential causes? my temperature stayed right between 98.8 and 99.3 the whole hatch. I did have a bit of humidity spiking when each of the chicks hatched but its stayed stable around 73% and the venting is almost all the way open (I couldn't open it the last 8th because the temp was dropping too low)

Hi all, this is my first time incubating eggs and I have a little situation. I had 8 eggs that all pipped at the very end of day 19 into day 20. of those 8 there are 6 that have fully hatched and fluffed out. I have two eggs that haven't made any progress beyond the first small pip, how long should I leave the other ones in and wait on them?
Also if they don't hatch what could be the potential causes? my temperature stayed right between 98.8 and 99.3 the whole hatch. I did have a bit of humidity spiking when each of the chicks hatched but its stayed stable around 73% and the venting is almost all the way open (I couldn't open it the last 8th because the temp was dropping too low)
I would wait till day 23 or there abouts, if I don't candle.
As I have candled quite a lot of eggs, I might be able to tell sooner.
What kind or breed of eggs are they?

Last edited:
it can take 24 hrs from pip to starting to zip. if it has been at least 24 hrs since they pipped you can then at least take a peek and make sure they are still alive. and maybe barely start doing something so you can see if they are still chewing or if there are still veins that need to be absorbed.

I would wait till day 23 or there abouts, if I don't candle.
As I have candled quite a lot of eggs, I might be able to tell sooner.
What kind or breed of eggs are they?
they are just a barnyard mix. the last two are from my easter Eggers, I candled them all before lockdown and they all had really good movement.

they are just a barnyard mix. the last two are from my easter Eggers, I candled them all before lockdown and they all had really good movement.
Day 19/20 is a bit early for then to start piping, unless they were bantams. (thus why I asked)
Could be caused by the temp being a bit high, or could be uneven, which might explain why some are late.
Any progress?
And sadly, some chicks just don't make, and one can't find any reason for it.
If there are no open pips, you could try candling, and see if you can see anything.

Day 19/20 is a bit early for then to start piping, unless they were bantams. (thus why I asked)
Could be caused by the temp being a bit high, or could be uneven, which might explain why some are late.
Any progress?
And sadly, some chicks just don't make, and one can't find any reason for it.
If there are no open pips, you could try candling, and see if you can see anything.
one ended up hatching and the other I left for the day. once it hit past the 24hr mark I decided to open the incubator and help. the membrane was very dried and it had an odd smell to it. I'm assuming the yolk sack popped, just judging off the smell and yellow crusting it had. I took all the dried chicks out and put that one back in to dry off, so fingers crossed it comes out of this ok. it had a bit of an umbilical left I just hope it doesn't cause any problems

one ended up hatching and the other I left for the day. once it hit past the 24hr mark I decided to open the incubator and help. the membrane was very dried and it had an odd smell to it. I'm assuming the yolk sack popped, just judging off the smell and yellow crusting it had. I took all the dried chicks out and put that one back in to dry off, so fingers crossed it comes out of this ok. it had a bit of an umbilical left I just hope it doesn't cause any problems
:fl
I hope it does OK!

Fingers crossed it does great!!!!

Back
Top Bottom