How long should I wait?

HalfMadMommy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lupton, CO
I have 20 eggs in my incubator. Candling looked good until "hands off" which was Sunday. I increased the humidity to approx 65%, and today is day 22...no pips.

This is my 2nd attempt at hatching. My 1st one had 3 dozen eggs, and only 3 hatched, 2 of which died within 24 hours :-/ This time I tried increasing the humidity to 45% (the 1st batch had HUGE air pockets on the unhatched eggs), and kept my hands out of the incubator as much as possible (I turned them 3x per day). The temp was much more stable this time, too: 99-100.

How long do I wait before I call it a total loss and toss the eggs? Any other tips to get some of these guys to hatch? I had several "movers" when I candled on day 14 & day 18.

Thanks!

ive just finished my first hatch, i put 10 eggs in incy 2 hatched day 24 with help! 1 hatched day 25 with help, waited for 7 others till yesterday day 28, then opened , results= 2 just yolks, 1 died at 1wk, 2 died at 2wks & 2 died fully developed even absorbed yolk sack but didnt pip!
hit.gif
they were very wet think my humidity was too high! but my 3 chicks are doing well
wee.gif
i am doing another batch nxt week and ive bought a hydrometer this time , on here people have posted chicks hatched at day 29 so i would wait a little longer
hu.gif
and hope it all works out for you x

This is my second attempt at hatching, my first was unsucessful. I had 2 hatch on day 20 and tons of movement on the remaining 8 eggs. It's been 2 L O N G days and nothing new has happened. I'm worried my thermometer is off and the heat was too high.

Good Luck. I wish you well. It is so hard to wait and HEARTBREAKING when nothing happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom