How long should my screws be?

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
I have to attach my coop walls to the floor , my walls are 2x4s and my floor is 2x6s.

And how long should they be to attach 2x4 to another 2x4 wall

I know these don't seem like smart questions lol!

Which way are you attaching them? If you attach the 4" side of one to the 4" (or 6") side of the other, a 3 1/2" screw will stick out the back by a half inch or more. It will be going through the 2" sides of each; the 2" nominal are 1 1/2" actual size. In this case you want 2 1/2" long screws.

Otherwise, 3" is enough if the screw is going in straight. There may be some other requirements (more care to pick the right size of drill bit to make the pilot hole, and such). It it is going in at much of an angle (like toenailing), it should be longer.

We tried to use 3 1/2" screws. We don't have drill bits long enough so discovered 3" works. So does 2 1/2" in some situations but not all situations.

Which way are you attaching them? If you attach the 4" side of one to the 4" (or 6")
Proper construction would never see this.

The 2x6 floor joists (covered with subfloor) will always be perpendicular to the 2x4 baseplate of the wall. Therefore, to secure the wall to the floor, one would need to screw through the 1.5" baseplate, ~0.5" floor then into the 5.5" floor joist. In order to offer some uplift protection, you want at least 1.5" penetration through the joist:
1699105596484.png

When joining corners between two walls, again, in proper construction, you will always have the 3.5" of one 2x4 meeting up with the short side of the adjoining wall which will always be at 90°. This would be standard construction for a chicken coop:
1699104793542.png

Sorry. I wasn't thinking about this situation, just screwing 2x4's in general. I'm currently building shelves into an existing space. It has to go flat side to flat side. If I turn the 2x4 the other way, it will make a flat side to flat side in another place.

Proper construction would never see this.

The 2x6 floor joists (covered with subfloor) will always be perpendicular to the 2x4 baseplate of the wall. Therefore, to secure the wall to the floor, one would need to screw through the 1.5" baseplate, ~0.5" floor then into the 5.5" floor joist. In order to offer some uplift protection, you want at least 1.5" penetration through the joist:

When joining corners between two walls, again, in proper construction, you will always have the 3.5" of one 2x4 meeting up with the short side of the adjoining wall which will always be at 90°. This would be standard construction for a chicken coop:
I'm glad to know this . this is how it is and was going to go together.

Thanks to all for the help!

Back
Top Bottom