How long to wait on remaining eggs in incubator

NakPakChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Nevada
today is day 23, there are 6 eggs left in the incubator. Do I wait? I don't see any pips on them, no movement, no chirping from the eggs.
I guess my main concern is that the bator stinks to high heaven, is filthy from the 12 that hatched. The water trays look nasty/filmy. Do I add more water? I've sprayed water in from the vent holes.

How long do I wait for these last 6? I know it's possible I messed up the humidity removing the chicks. Can I candle them? Probably not, since they are supposed to be on lock down, right?

And my new babies.....Don't seem very interested in doing anything other than sleep. I know they are resting from their ordeal getting out of the egg, and living off reserves. How long do those reserves last?

Thankx!

Not sure about the ones in the bator, but my new ones where pretty subdued for the first 24 hours and only a little more active the next day. However , on the third day after hatch I had to refill the feeder three times (hadn't had to refill it at all for the first 2-days) and they were running around and being crazy. I'd double check that the brooder is good temp. and draft wise and check for pasty butt. As long as everything looks good try not to worry about it, the'll be running around before you know it.
jumpy.gif

That's what I thought. But these are my first hatch, so I figured you guys would know for sure.
smile.png
The way these little fluffers grow like popcorn I figured a day or two and they'd be like the other chicks I've had (bought from the feedstore, which gets them from a hatchery in New Mexico).

Thank you!
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I have now noticed that at least 2 chicks only open one eye. Will the other one open as they grow? They are still sleeping most of the time, not much active time. But when I picked up two of the chicks, they only opened one eye.

HI,
I had a chick hatch this morning...............day 25.........was going to dump the eggs last nightand was to tired.
It is strong and healthy a little BO.

The one eyed chicks must have been extra tired. They are all perky and awake now, pecking at the food and water. Everyone's eyes are open (both eyes).
wee.gif
ya.gif

I put my little water dish in the bator, refilled the water trays on the bottom, through the vent holes, and I'll wait. I figure another 2 or 3 days won't hurt. The bator only smells when you lean over to look in the windows on the top.

If I steam up the bathroom is it safe to candle them to check on em? Or just sit on my hands and wait, some more?
hu.gif

I steamed up the bathroom, warmed up a towel to wrap the eggs in, and just had to candle. They were all dead. Shrink wrapped. I did egg autopsies, 2 or 3 of them still had large yolk sacks to absorb. They were fully formed, so this was my fault wasn't it? From opening the bator too much? Darn darn darn!!

Back
Top Bottom