How loud are guinea fowl?

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I have heard that guinea fowl are very loud, but just how loud is loud? I have a bantam rooster. Would you say a guinea fowl is louder than a rooster crowing?
Thanks in advance. :D

guineas a definitely louder then a bantam rooster. it would be more like a really high pitched extra long standard rooster crow. what most people don't like is when guineas go off the can make noise almost none stop for minutes on end. I have found after they get settled in a few months the calm down and only make noise if something is wrong. and the older ones teach the younger ones what is noise worthy

I currently have 12 Silkie Cockerel/Roosters that crow all morning long, in the middle of the night, or every time they hear any kind of ruckus somewhere on my 10 acres... but they are still nowhere as noisy as my Guineas, lol. The Guineas can make so much noise sometimes that it makes my 5 dogs howl, and my Donkey will start braying lol, then that gets the Silkies going and the Tom Turkeys gobbling too
he.gif

My younger Guineas will go off about anything that startles them, upsets them, or anything that's new/strange to them... and they typically do not tend to quiet down until after they turn at least a yr old. For whatever reason, that seems to be the magic number/age when they finally decide that all of the silly LITTLE things that always set them off aren't as serious/threatening as they used to be. But, if there is a reason, my older flocks can and will will make a lot of noise.

Guineas are noisy (or ALWAYS have the potential to be), period.

I have heard that guinea fowl are very loud, but just how loud is loud? I have a bantam rooster. Would you say a guinea fowl is louder than a rooster crowing?
Thanks in advance.
big_smile.png

Guineas are loud. Do an internet search "What do guineas sound like" and then turn your sound up all the way and put your ears close to the speakers, then multiply that by 10, and then multiply that by how many guineas you'd like to have.
smile.png
LOL.

But most people don't sit in the middle of a flock of guineas when they make their alarm call. Plus, you get used to it. Personally, I like the noise, but my husband (who doesn't) takes his ear plugs with him when we're working in the garden close to the guinea pen in case they take issue with the wheel barrow or the rake and start up. But again, we're up close under those circumstances.

Guineas are loud. Do an internet search "What do guineas sound like" and then turn your sound up all the way and put your ears close to the speakers, then multiply that by 10, and then multiply that by how many guineas you'd like to have.
smile.png
LOL.
Wow!
gig.gif
That is LOUD! I can see how that could get irritating after a while.
Due to the fact that I have close by neighbors, I don't think I would be able to get guinea fowl with all that noise.
hide.gif

Thanks all!

If your neighbors wouldn't like roosters, they'll hate guineas. Mine did (they objected to the poop, not the noise) and it now means I have to keep my guineas penned 24/7, although I do take them out for "walks" around the property as often as I can. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Guineas don't suit everyone, and generally they aren't good with close neighbors unless you can enlist their support from the beginning. If they aren't "guinea people" then they will make life miserable for you.

Do you have chickens? Chicken hens are generally acceptable to just about everyone - especially when they get some free fresh eggs! (Although my neighbors wouldn't get a fresh egg outta my flock now! LOL)

We only have 5, you can't believe the noise. Luckily our neighbors don't mind. For the most part they stay on our side....lots of room to roam. Generally anyone that comes here gets annoyed pretty quick....especially the city folk. As other have said, your neighbors will be the biggest problem. :)

If your neighbors wouldn't like roosters, they'll hate guineas. Mine did (they objected to the poop, not the noise) and it now means I have to keep my guineas penned 24/7, although I do take them out for "walks" around the property as often as I can. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Guineas don't suit everyone, and generally they aren't good with close neighbors unless you can enlist their support from the beginning. If they aren't "guinea people" then they will make life miserable for you.

Do you have chickens? Chicken hens are generally acceptable to just about everyone - especially when they get some free fresh eggs! (Although my neighbors wouldn't get a fresh egg outta my flock now! LOL)
I do have chickens (7 hens and an itty bitty bantam rooster). My neighbors have tolerated my bantam rooster so far. They have commented on his crow, but never complained (yet anyway). My plan was to keep the guineas in a chicken tractor with a run. That way I could move them around my property to help control the tick and insect population. This way the guineas couldn't get to my neighbors yard (I know that wouldn't be tolerated too long by the neighbors. Not to mention I don't know what the neighbors might use on their lawns as far as fertilizer goes.) Maybe I could lure them over with the guineas great insect eating qualities. But since people are often moving in and out of our neighborhood, its hard to say how long that would last.
idunno.gif

Thanks for the help everyone. I really do appreciate it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom