How many bantams in 10x10 run?

Doorsopenat5

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Hi! Wondering a few things actually-

1) how many bantams do you think can happily fit in a 10x10’ run? They only free range occasionally when we can supervise.
2) do you let your bantams free range unsupervised? (I get scared they’re so small and could easily get picked up.)
3) if I had separate area for standards, and let the standards free range but not the bantams, would they get jealous? (This sounds like a stupid question, but these are the things I think about haha)

Thanks!

1. I would limit the run to 10 bantams. I know people constantly quote that 10 sq ft is the minimum for LF but I think it's just too small. I think it would be adequate for bantams.

2. Yes, all my birds have access to their 1/3 acre pen unsupervised daily. But it has a lot of cover for escape from aerial predators and 2 roosters always on the look out.

3. I wouldn't keep them separate. The Sebright is in the picture shown. The d'Uccle was on the nest being broody when I took this.
IMG_20220602_080615826.jpg

Last edited:
I too think 10 square feet per bird is better. I have found those minimal requirements given are too small for your ave flock to be happy and the owners to enjoy chicken keeping.
This is what works for me. I only have bantams and never had raised large fowl. I have a 28 x 8 coop and a 20 x 8 covered run. In the winter I have found 20-25 birds to be my limit. I find this keeps them healthy and me enjoying them because I don’t have as much coop maintenance with this number, over this I spend more time cleaning than enjoying my flock. I keep mixed ages and genders. I’m in northern NY so my winters are harsh and the birds are in kept in 24/7 November to late March and have no interest in going out in the snow.
In the summer I have a usually double that because I hatch and raise out all my chicks until fall when I make my first selection on who I’d like to keep for breeding in the spring. From April to November I let them out of the coop right now from 3-7 in a few weeks when the kids are off from school my daughter will let them out around noon till dusk.
I do take my chances with letting them out because I have found they are happier and healthier. You don’t mention what breed bantam you have but my Ameraucana bantam are quite skilled flyers being able to fly onto the roof of the house. I have no doubt if there was a predator attack they would fly in the trees. I also have a lot of cover too around the property. My biggest threat has been fox. I haven’t really seen hawks, I have a lot of crows and Raven so that maybe why. My dogs and the kids are in and out all day long as well. I also empty my vacuum container around the back of the coop to spread the dog and human smell, not sure if this helps but it doesn’t hurt. I have blackberry bushes just outside the coop and the chicks have made tunnels through them and spend much of their day in there running around.

Hi! Wondering a few things actually-

1) how many bantams do you think can happily fit in a 10x10’ run? They only free range occasionally when we can supervise.
2) do you let your bantams free range unsupervised? (I get scared they’re so small and could easily get picked up.)
3) if I had separate area for standards, and let the standards free range but not the bantams, would they get jealous? (This sounds like a stupid question, but these are the things I think about haha)

Thanks!
I assume you have a reason not to mix them, probably roosters fighting and cross breeding you dont want? For that reason, the fighting, no they wont feel jealous if you seperate them.

Where do they sleep? I would try to give them an hour free range before they sleep, they should be accustomed to their roost to return automatically.

I too think 10 square feet per bird is better. I have found those minimal requirements given are too small for your ave flock to be happy and the owners to enjoy chicken keeping.
This is what works for me. I only have bantams and never had raised large fowl. I have a 28 x 8 coop and a 20 x 8 covered run. In the winter I have found 20-25 birds to be my limit. I find this keeps them healthy and me enjoying them because I don’t have as much coop maintenance with this number, over this I spend more time cleaning than enjoying my flock. I keep mixed ages and genders. I’m in northern NY so my winters are harsh and the birds are in kept in 24/7 November to late March and have no interest in going out in the snow.
In the summer I have a usually double that because I hatch and raise out all my chicks until fall when I make my first selection on who I’d like to keep for breeding in the spring. From April to November I let them out of the coop right now from 3-7 in a few weeks when the kids are off from school my daughter will let them out around noon till dusk.
I do take my chances with letting them out because I have found they are happier and healthier. You don’t mention what breed bantam you have but my Ameraucana bantam are quite skilled flyers being able to fly onto the roof of the house. I have no doubt if there was a predator attack they would fly in the trees. I also have a lot of cover too around the property. My biggest threat has been fox. I haven’t really seen hawks, I have a lot of crows and Raven so that maybe why. My dogs and the kids are in and out all day long as well. I also empty my vacuum container around the back of the coop to spread the dog and human smell, not sure if this helps but it doesn’t hurt. I have blackberry bushes just outside the coop and the chicks have made tunnels through them and spend much of their day in there running around.
Thank you! Oh wow maybe I should try the vacuum thing! I’m in NJ, and we have seen a fox on the chicken cam a few times, and we also have hawks that I see a lot. Right now, I have a d’uccle, silkie, Cochin bantam, and Polish bantam. I was looking into getting 4 more bantams (2 bantam Easter egger, a welsummer bantam, and Brahma bantam) and hoping to stop there.

I assume you have a reason not to mix them, probably roosters fighting and cross breeding you dont want? For that reason, the fighting, no they wont feel jealous if you seperate them.

Where do they sleep? I would try to give them an hour free range before they sleep, they should be accustomed to their roost to return automatically.
I was thinking about getting a separate coop and run for standards, and letting the standards free range, but keeping the bantams in the 10x10’ run, since I worry about predators (mostly hawks) with their small size.

They sleep in their coop- we try to get them out an hour before their sleep- they are good about going in for bed!

1. I would limit the run to 10 bantams. I know people constantly quote that 10 sq ft is the minimum for LF but I think it's just too small. I think it would be adequate for bantams.

2. Yes, all my birds have access to their 1/3 acre pen unsupervised daily. But it has a lot of cover for escape from aerial predators and 2 roosters always on the look out.

3. I wouldn't keep them separate. The Sebright is in the picture shown. The d'Uccle was on the nest being broody when I took this.
View attachment 3143861
Thank you! Yes I’ve heard suchhhh varying thoughts on how much room they need. I’ve heard much more space per chicken is needed, and most say bantams need less room, but then someone else said they need more room Bc they are more active.

Back
Top Bottom