How many chickens can fit?

HTG chickens

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2020
My coop is 4x4.5' and about 6' tall. How many chickens do you think it can hold? I only have a photo of it during construction and it's too dark outside to take another one right now.
IMG_20200805_140049872.jpg

The minimum recommendation for coop space is 4 square feet per bird, for standard size birds. With your dimensions, it would hold 4 standard breeds. Maybe an extra bird, or two if you get bantams. If they are going to have an enclosed run, the minimum recommendation is 10 square feet per standard bird. Of course, the more space the better. Like @black_cat pointed out, if the nests are internal, and if food and water is inside the coop, that'll take away from floor space

The minimum recommendation for coop space is 4 square feet per bird, for standard size birds. With your dimensions, it would hold 4 standard breeds. Maybe an extra bird, or two if you get bantams. If they are going to have an enclosed run, the minimum recommendation is 10 square feet per standard bird.
I agree about the amount of space per chicken: 4 square feet of floor space in the coop per standard sized chicken.

But when planning how many birds in a coop, remember that feeders and waterers can take up floor space, and nestboxes sometimes do too. So only count the floor space that is actually available for the chickens.

And measure the inside space, not the outside. Sometimes it makes a large difference in area, depending on how thick the walls are.

I only have a photo of it during construction and it's too dark outside to take another one right now.
It looks cute! I'd enjoy seeing a photo of the finished coop, when you are able to take one.

Okay, thank you all! I already have 3 chickens(two regular sized and one tiny bantam-sized hen). I wanted to get a couple more but wasn't sure if my coop would be big enough for two more. You guys have been super helpful! I think if I decide to get more I'll probably just get two bantams to save the most space.

I agree about the amount of space per chicken: 4 square feet of floor space in the coop per standard sized chicken.

But when planning how many birds in a coop, remember that feeders and waterers can take up floor space, and nestboxes sometimes do too. So only count the floor space that is actually available for the chickens.

And measure the inside space, not the outside. Sometimes it makes a large difference in area, depending on how thick the walls are.

It looks cute! I'd enjoy seeing a photo of the finished coop, when you are able to take one.
IMG_20210312_095206647_HDR.jpg

I let my chickens free range, but keep a tiny run for while I'm at work and can't keep an eye on them:).

Back
Top Bottom