How many chickens ?

Ourminizoo2021

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
Hey ! So im wondering how many chickens would be comfortable in 11 by 14 feet coop.. Spring, summer and fall i leave their door open during the day but most of winter its shut

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
If 11x14 is the dimensions of the coop -- not the run but the coop itself -- then you have room for nearly 40 chickens according to those numbers.

If those are the dimensions of the run -- the outdoor area in addition to the enclosed coop space -- then you have room for 15 chickens.

If it's an open air style coop that is coop and run combined then you have room for somewhere in between those numbers.

Here's an excellent article on why the guidelines are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

Could you show us photos of your coop? Also, if you add your general location to your profile people can give better targeted advice. Climate matters. :)

If you are just starting out? A couple of other ideas to consider.

How many people in your household eating eggs, I have found the number of people + one or two, is a good place to start. You will have enough, but not be overrun with eggs.

Another point of view, is to keep a flock, I like a multi-generational flock, which can be set up over years. With the idea, that chickens often die around 3-4 years, and by adding a few new ones, and losing a few, you get a multi-generational flock. So don't FILL your coop the first year.

This will allow you a chance to try different breeds, too.

Mrs K

Hey ! So im wondering how many chickens would be comfortable in 11 by 14 feet coop.. Spring, summer and fall i leave their door open during the day but most of winter its shut
Six if they are standard sized. I would put four or five in it. This is based on observing my five in a little over half of a 10 by 14 foot shed full time with daily "recess" in the other half... and observing their activity and interactions when they had the entire space. They grew up together and aren't stressed so much that there is overt problems but I can easily see they would be much more comfortable with more space.

Rule of thumb says ten chickens if their feed, water, and nests are raised enough for them to use the entire floor space... figuring 15 square feet per chicken from 10 square feet for their run and 4 square feet for their coop. In practice, it is hard to raise their feed and nests enough for them to want to use the space under the platforms for anything but nests.

It is also nice to have a bit of storage space inside the coop. Or space for a separation crate for medical treatment or integrated replacements. Some people use it for behavior problems too.

Can you put more in with no overt problems? Probably. But you asked how many would be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom