How many eggs do runner ducks lay per year?

Dummy Drqgon

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2021
Hello! I’ve been trying to convince my mom to let me get a new breed of duck to spice up our flock. We have a big family and it’s getting bigger, so naturally, we use a lot of eggs. My mom wants good layers! I came across an Instagram post today that said runner ducks lay 300+ eggs per year, so I looked it up and it said they lay 100-180 per year, then another website said 250 per year, then I found a website that said 300-350? How much do your guys’ runner ducks lay? Why are there so many different numbers? Do you like your runners? What’s a good place to buy runner hatching eggs? Thank you! :)

Hello! I’ve been trying to convince my mom to let me get a new breed of duck to spice up our flock. We have a big family and it’s getting bigger, so naturally, we use a lot of eggs. My mom wants good layers! I came across an Instagram post today that said runner ducks lay 300+ eggs per year, so I looked it up and it said they lay 100-180 per year, then another website said 250 per year, then I found a website that said 300-350? How much do your guys’ runner ducks lay? Why are there so many different numbers? Do you like your runners? What’s a good place to buy runner hatching eggs? Thank you! :)
What types of ducks do you have now ?
Not sure if this helps but khaki Campbell ducks were made by breeding runner , mallard and Rouen
My khaki cross pekin ducks are great layers. They are just over a year old and only one of the 3 girls took a break in the winter
Their mom is pekin and she laid for 14 months straight so her genes could br part of why they are such good layers
I haven’t raised straight runners but @DuckyDonna has runners and can maybe help

I have 13 runners now and 3 of those are boys. The oldest 3 girls are almost 6. I've hatched all but the 3 originals so I've got staggered ages of ducks. They have been great layers.

I keep a spreadsheet for the number of eggs they lay. It's a lot but it's hard to put a number to it because of having some young that didn't lay with the older layers. The younger ones tend to lay really well for the first year without taking a break.

In my first year with 6 girls, they laid over 1500 eggs if that helps and that was before the young ones really kicked in.

What types of ducks do you have now ?
Not sure if this helps but khaki Campbell ducks were made by breeding runner , mallard and Rouen
My khaki cross pekin ducks are great layers. They are just over a year old and only one of the 3 girls took a break in the winter
Their mom is pekin and she laid for 14 months straight so her genes could br part of why they are such good layers
I haven’t raised straight runners but @DuckyDonna has runners and can maybe help
We have 8 khaki Campbells (4 drakes, (yes, we need to cull some drakes) and 4 females) and two mixed breed ducks that I hatched for fun (A drake and a duck). They don’t lay very much for a family of 6 people (about to be a family of 11 people, all of which will be wanting to eat duck eggs every day for breakfast). And that’s two eggs per person. 22+ eggs a day. 😬 so I just want another really good laying breed that can produce a lot.

I have 13 runners now and 3 of those are boys. The oldest 3 girls are almost 6. I've hatched all but the 3 originals so I've got staggered ages of ducks. They have been great layers.

I keep a spreadsheet for the number of eggs they lay. It's a lot but it's hard to put a number to it because of having some young that didn't lay with the older layers. The younger ones tend to lay really well for the first year without taking a break.

In my first year with 6 girls, they laid over 1500 eggs if that helps and that was before the young ones really kicked in.
Where did you get your runner ducks from?

Back
Top Bottom