How many Roosters for a coup?

Ang48

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
How many roosters can you put in one coop with about 30 chicken? Does it actually work to have more than one rooster in one coop?

How many roosters can you put in one coop with about 30 chicken? Does it actually work to have more than one rooster in one coop?
The recommendation is usually 1 rooster per 10 hens. Yes it can work, I’ve done it before but my roosters grew up together i never introduced new roosters but I assume they will fight at first but with enough hens everything should settle down quickly

The recommendation is usually 1 rooster per 10 hens. Yes it can work, I’ve done it before but my roosters grew up together i never introduced new roosters but I assume they will fight at first but with enough hens everything should settle down quickly

Ok. Thanks. I’ll try that

I have 4 roosters with about 30 hens. All roosters were added as chicks, so no integration with grown birds. Current young rooster fought a little when he came of age, but backed off when he won against aging roos in the winter. Ironically middle aged roo is the strongest and just realized he could take the young roo's hens. The 2 oldest have always worked as a pair and the older hens still follow them. Middle age roo submits to them even though he is stronger. It does not always go smoothly. We culled one young roo because he would not back down during a fight. He would have killed the aging roosters if I had not pulled him off of them.

I keep several roosters with several hens. I usually introduce cockerels, with little to no problems.

I keep hen saddles handy, for good reasons, cuz the boys can become quite rowdy, especially in the spring.

For example: Standard/Project Orpington coop has 4 roosters, & 11 hens. Odd ratio, but it works. 2 more girls will be added soon.

Back
Top Bottom