How much feather loss is normal?

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
I have 11 pullets between 8-11 weeks old. I don't think any are going through an actual mold but I could be wrong. Everyday there are about 1-2 dozen long feathers and a at least a few dozen short feathers in the coop. I haven't seen anyone being picked on or any feathers being plucked. Is this normal?

Long feathers
93548FCE-1888-4886-A94D-90C51E5EDA4F.jpeg

A pile of short feathers (these tend to pile up in corners due to the fans).
C1A2D689-98C2-423F-8BFF-5E7CDCD0A977.jpeg

And do I need to be trying to pick these up? I am doing deep bedding that I hope will eventually become deep litter.

Normal! They'll be replacing feathers as they grow until the last juvenile molt. If you see bald spots then you could have some feather pulling going on.

I just leave the feathers unless it's on a wire bottomed cage (poocrete). They break down surprisingly fast.

Normal! They'll be replacing feathers as they grow until the last juvenile molt. If you see bald spots then you could have some feather pulling going on.

I just leave the feathers unless it's on a wire bottomed cage (poocrete). They break down surprisingly fast.
Thanks for the reply!

I agree, a juvenile molt. They outgrow their baby feathers and have to replace them. They'd look pretty silly with adult bodies and baby feathers. So they go through juvenile molts as they grow.

I leave the feathers. Sometimes the chickens eat them, especially those small fluffy ones. In any case they don't last that long.

Back
Top Bottom