how much to feed ducks & cchickens

PerpetualLearner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
We have @ 45 ducks (Black Swedish, Khaki Campbell, Fawn & white runners & Cayuga) got 8/15 also @ 30 chickens (8 dif breeds) got 6/1. They cohabitate with no apparent problemsexcept feeding. They are sharing coop and large run. They all are fed starter-gro and eat together(don't know how to segrate to feed). I have NO idea how much feed to put out and when. Like how fast should I be going through a 50 lb bag of feed? That's the largest bag I can get here. I am using several trays that go under planters and have them up on shelves that used to be a greenhouse. I also use a 5 gallon bucket I got at Bi-Lo and drilled 8 holes in it and try to keep it filled but the ducks seem to go through it fast.
I'm very new at this so any help would be great.
If I can get my pics uploaded to the computer I might get them posted here.
barnie.gif

Thank you

I feed my chickens in the coop and the geese/turkey/ducks outside before the chickens come out in the am, and after the chickens go in at night.

Wow i bet you are going through some feed, I only have 10 ducks and 1 goose and 23 chickens, and I go through 150lbs. of food in about 3 weeks, thats 100 lbs. of Flock Raiser and 50lbs. of 7 way scratch mixed in with it. I only feed them during the day, night time I have the feed put up. But they have ascess to feed the whole day. I also mix Boss into their feed during the winter months. The only thing I'm not sure about is how much the rest of the wild life here is eating, chipmonks and such.

My brother who lives in Penn. sent us @ 45 ducks (Black Swedish, Khaki Campbell, Fawn & white runners & Cayuga) got 8/15 also @ 30 chickens (8 dif breeds) got 6/1. They have a coop and a large run.
I've tryed to read as much as I can but I'm very confused. I have been feeding them starter-gro since I got them. I was told at the feed store that I should be giving egg-pellet to chicks so they'd start laying and crackcorn to ducks. Is this right and I still have no idea how much at each feeding. I'm feeding 1 am when I open the coop ( it's always open about 4 ") and 1 dusk when I close coop up. I read some things that made me think that I should just put out the food and let them free-feed. That is a very expensive idea.
idunno.gif
I want to take good care of them. Thanks for your advice.
big_smile.png

I'd say you should be going through a 50 pound bag of food every day and a half. If there is a lot of good foraging, they will eat less feed, but it is getting close to the end of good forage season in most places.

You've got 75 birds, that's a lot of birds to be feeding. If those chickens are bantam breeds, they will eat less. Since they are on grower, I assume they are growing, and they will really eat a lot while they are growing. Then they really eat a lot when they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom