How Often for Cabbage?

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
We gave our pullets a hanging head of cabbage for the first time. In less than 25 hrs it was gone!
Obviously, they loved it. How often can we give them a head of cabbage? Don’t want to overdo this.
Your thoughts?
IMG_9752.jpeg

Treats should not exceed 10% of daily intake. Not knowing flock size or size of the cabbage, I can't say how often would be acceptable. I hope my non-answer helps you determine your answer.

Agree, it depends on how many you have? I know that my 12 would let it rot and maybe peck a little bit, they're always pretty "Meh," about big veggies. Throw them a burger and it's a different story.... My opinion is that chickens are not rabbits and hanging cabbage is just a healthy toy that someone created but not doing them some big benefit. I wouldn't do it all the time. Maybe bi-weekly... ?

Treats should not exceed 10% of daily intake. Not knowing flock size or size of the cabbage, I can't say how often would be acceptable. I hope my non-answer helps you determine your answer.
Very new at this. We have 7, 3 months old. They live in a run 20x26’. No free range at this time. Cabbage was larger than a softball. Any help is always appreciated! 😊

I had 33 chickens in a 'very' large standup pen, with all the trimmings. I would just buy the largest cabbage head I could find in the store ! I hung it from the rafter, in the pen, with a one inch eye hook screwed into the cabbage core about 12 inches above the ground, just so they could comfortably reach it. THEN "get out of the way" !!!! I did not do this daily, or in any pattern. It was used solely as a 'treat'. This was in Ridgecrest, Ca., where the weather could get rather warm at times, but, like I stated earlier, they had all the trimmings. It is/was almost comical to stand & watch the herd demolish the cabbage head. There was never any leftovers the following day !!!! (try it, you might like it )

I had 33 chickens in a 'very' large standup pen, with all the trimmings. I would just buy the largest cabbage head I could find in the store ! I hung it from the rafter, in the pen, with a one inch eye hook screwed into the cabbage core about 12 inches above the ground, just so they could comfortably reach it. THEN "get out of the way" !!!! I did not do this daily, or in any pattern. It was used solely as a 'treat'. This was in Ridgecrest, Ca., where the weather could get rather warm at times, but, like I stated earlier, they had all the trimmings. It is/was almost comical to stand & watch the herd demolish the cabbage head. There was never any leftovers the following day !!!! (try it, you might like it )
Thank you! I’m in the high desert in SoCal.

Back
Top Bottom