How often to powder coop and run

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
Hello!

How often should I power the coop and run for preventative measures. I use this product and have used to this past summer to rid my coop of mites and it did a great job. I just didn’t know how often to add on roost bars and coop.

Attachments

• F59D2507-FCE1-43F6-A7C6-0B02BA660A81.jpeg
    F59D2507-FCE1-43F6-A7C6-0B02BA660A81.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
Because it contains pesticide, I would discontinue if you're not actively having a problem.

If you're looking for something to use as a preventative, check out First Saturday Lime. I treat the coop and run once a month. It works similar to DE (dehydrating bugs), but is potentially safer.

I am going to pick up a bottle of that product though, seeing as you had so much success with it! Always good to have stuff on hand BEFORE something happens.

Because it contains pesticide, I would discontinue if you're not actively having a problem.

If you're looking for something to use as a preventative, check out First Saturday Lime. I treat the coop and run once a month. It works similar to DE (dehydrating bugs), but is potentially safer.

I am going to pick up a bottle of that product though, seeing as you had so much success with it! Always good to have stuff on hand BEFORE something happens.
I agree. I had mites and did a corse of once a week for a month because I wanted to make sure I got the cycle of eggs and hatching. I will look into first Saturday lime! Thank you!

Pesticides should not be used for "prevention". They don't prevent, they are meant to treat an existing infestation. If you use them haphazardly you'll build resistance in the pests in your environment - all kinds of pests - and make matters worse. When you finally do get an infestation, the pesticide will no longer work because the pests will now have resistance. Also, do not use this outside, only inside the coop or on the birds themselves. Yes it says "garden" but just because the manufacturer wants to sell it, doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it. Outside it's harmful to all kinds of other insects, not just the ones you want to target, so you'd be messing up the local ecosystem's balance by wiping out beneficial insects like bees (which it is highly toxic to).

Pesticides should not be used for "prevention". They don't prevent, they are meant to treat an existing infestation. If you use them haphazardly you'll build resistance in the pests in your environment - all kinds of pests - and make matters worse. When you finally do get an infestation, the pesticide will no longer work because the pests will now have resistance. Also, do not use this outside, only inside the coop or on the birds themselves. Yes it says "garden" but just because the manufacturer wants to sell it, doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it. Outside it's harmful to all kinds of other insects, not just the ones you want to target, so you'd be messing up the local ecosystem's balance by wiping out beneficial insects like bees (which it is highly toxic to).
Thank you! I just bought some first Saturday lime and will use that monthly and only use the other stuff if I need it. I appreciate it!

I use neem oil, coated all the wood surfaces when building the coop, and reapply every few months, but reapply to their roosts once a month. Have never had mites, going on 10 years. It's completely natural oil, can be applied to skin, eaten, etc. Something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom