How old is too old for a Rooster to do his job?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
My favorite rooster is 7 or 8 years old.

I gave my last broody eggs from both of my rooster flocks (1 rooster per 7-9 hens) and only 2 eggs of the 11 were fertile. Is it safe to surmise that the older rooster is not fertile now? Or is it just chance that 2yo rooster and old rooster didn't get around to all their girls?

Need to decide before next girl goes broody.

Sometimes they have favourites who they mate frequently, and other hens who run away and don't let them mate them (or only when they are ambushed and pinned down 😔). This affects fertility of eggs.

This is by no means my field of expertise. However it makes me wonder if older Roosters (like your 7 year old). May have a lower sperm count than younger Roosters. Most chickens don't live much longer than your pampered fellow (lucky guy).

This is by no means my field of expertise. However it makes me wonder if older Roosters (like your 7 year old). May have a lower sperm count than younger Roosters. Most chickens don't live much longer than your pampered fellow (lucky guy).
Well, yes, I guess that's possible. When I mentioned this to my hubby, he said something about shooting blanks. haha.

Maybe this new batch of chicks will have just 1 rooster for our 3rd flock.

My Serama fertility rate dropped from about 90percent to about 40 from last year to this year. He was only four. I had a mutt bantam though long ago that was still producing excellent up until he was 9 I think. Fox finally got him. Say a lot depends on individual bird. Or possibly the hen. I've had some hens that are get off the next for pretty long periods letting their eggs chill. Other hens barely get off to eat and drink.

Last edited:
My Serama fertility rate dropped from about 90percent to about 40 from last year to this year. He was only four. I have mutt bantam though long ago that was still producing excellent up until he was 9 I think. Fox finally got him. Say a lot depends on individual bird. Or possibly the hen. I've had some hens that are get off the next for pretty long periods letting their eggs chill. Other hens barely get off to eat and drink.
Oh, gosh. I think the hens in the flock with my old rooster are mostly 6+ yo. Huh. THey're still laying so I figured they'd still be fertile.

This broody mama was SO good. She barely left her nest. The remaining eggs in her nest were unfertilized, not just malfunctioned.

Back
Top Bottom