How old is too old...oyster shell shelf life?

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
My wife and I were wondering today if there is a "shelf life" on their oyster shells. I built a dispenser for them, but they haven't touched it in a few months (that we can tell). They did eat it when the weather was warmer, but now they don't seem interested in the shells or the grit. Will the oyster shells be OK come springtime when they may start eating it again or should I replace it with fresh stuff?

My wife and I were wondering today if there is a "shelf life" on their oyster shells. I built a dispenser for them, but they haven't touched it in a few months (that we can tell). They did eat it when the weather was warmer, but now they don't seem interested in the shells or the grit. Will the oyster shells be OK come springtime when they may start eating it again or should I replace it with fresh stuff?
There's a thread on here that answers that: In short, no they don't go bad.

Last edited:
Sorry, the previous link was a dud! Try this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-oyster-shells-go-bad.1046298/

Back
Top Bottom