How should I integrate 3 month old peachicks into the general population

MoChkRch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
How should I integrate 3 month old peachicks into the general population?
I have 3 month old peachicks that have been with Mom in an enclosure...but now I need the enclosure for another batch of peachicks. How do I safely integrate them into the general population. I tried this morning, but as soon as I did one of my other peahen started pecking at them.So I put them back in the enclosure without Mom. Should I let them out and hope for the best?
Right now I let Mom out...but she just keeps calling them. I really don't know what to do?Should I just let the peachicks out with the Mom?....Free Range? I also have 2 Males and one other peahen, plus a chicken yard of various chickens,...Barred rocks, Rhode island reds, silkies, etc.. The peachicks are good size for 3 months old, I just don't want them to be picked on

Attachments

• peachicks.jpg
    peachicks.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I had to integrate 3 peachicks into my general flock as well. These were chicks I had purchased at 2 weeks old and are now 3.5 months They were originally in a separate coop at my daughter's. I built a temporary mini-coop within the main one where they stayed for 2 weeks in a "look but don't touch" scenario.
I let them out with others last week and stayed around to monitor. While there has been some minor pecking by older birds, nothing serious. More like reminding the youngsters they don't get a spot on the top roost yet.

I had to integrate 3 peachicks into my general flock as well. These were chicks I had purchased at 2 weeks old and are now 3.5 months They were originally in a separate coop at my daughter's. I built a temporary mini-coop within the main one where they stayed for 2 weeks in a "look but don't touch" scenario.
I let them out with others last week and stayed around to monitor. While there has been some minor pecking by older birds, nothing serious. More like reminding the youngsters they don't get a spot on the top roost yet.
Thanks!

Space for chicks got into high command this year so I started tossing the six to eight-week-old chicks into the breeder pens. I wouldn't put them in with the yearlings but the IB type didn't mind them at all. Of course, the breeding season is long past so that helped too.

Back
Top Bottom