How the turkey got its name

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I thought this was an interesting video, and I wanted to share.

Why is a turkey called a turkey?

I'd also like to know of anyone in these forums is from somewhere that calls a Turkey something else? In the comments of this video, someone mentioned that the word for turkey in Burmese literally translates to "elephant chicken," which I think is probably the best name I've ever heard for the bird!

I thought this was an interesting video, and I wanted to share.

Why is a turkey called a turkey?

I'd also like to know of anyone in these forums is from somewhere that calls a Turkey something else? In the comments of this video, someone mentioned that the word for turkey in Burmese literally translates to "elephant chicken," which I think is probably the best name I've ever heard for the bird!
Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. He starts out making a false statement claiming that turkey is dry meat. Turkey is not a dry meat.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. He starts out making a false statement claiming that turkey is dry meat. Turkey is not a dry meat.

He starts out making a turkey related joke! Remember, context is everything. ;)

But I do envy you your turkey eating experiences. Turkey is not a dry meat - when cooked correctly. So far, I haven't met anyone who cooks it correctly. It's a lean meat, which makes it trickier to keep it from drying out. I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to add turkeys to the farm and try my hand at smoking them, since I've always loved smoked turkey. The smoked flavor is so good I've never minded how dry the breast meat gets, so I'd have some wiggle room there. It's just difficult to pull the trigger because I'm so scared I'll botch up the cooking process, and I don't want to have to kill something unless I'm sure I'll enjoy the meat. I can't help getting attached to my birds, so butchering day is always rough.

Back
Top Bottom