How to care for outdoor broody

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
The last 2 days I couldn't find one of my barred rocks. She normally goes home and roosts with the rest of the flock at sundown and I searched high and low for her with no luck. This morning I saw her briefly when I fed everyone but then she dissapeared again. I FINALLY tracked her down this afternoon in a pile of blackberry brambles and fallen branches that I had piled against a stump. She's pretty well in there and sitting on a huge pile of eggs! I never expected a 1st year barred rock to go broody so I haven't done any homework on this. How can I keep her comfortable and safe while letting her hatch out her babies? I normally incubate my eggs but this is my first broody and she picked a spot that I can't really confine or protect. To top it off she picked an area that was supposed to get terraced this month.
20210404_173348.jpg
20210404_184036.jpg

Is there a way to move a broody whilst still keeping her broody is the question, and why didn't she feel comfortable brooding in the coop is another...

For the time being, my chickens share the duck coop. We were prepping our hill for landscaping before the ice storms hit and grouped everyone together. I don't blame her for not wanting to set in there!

Have you ever moved a broody? Is there a better time to do it?

For the time being, my chickens share the duck coop. We were prepping our hill for landscaping before the ice storms hit and grouped everyone together. I don't blame her for not wanting to set in there!

Have you ever moved a broody? Is there a better time to do it?
I haven't sorry. You could try it but it may break her, this is an tricky situation.

20210428_101503.jpg

For anyone in the future who ends up on this page, I brought her food and water to her hidden spot daily and she ended up hatching out 12 babies with 3 late fails. She's a fantastic momma and super devoted! When the chicks were 2 days old I moved everyone into a tiny coop (the kind that TSC sells for "2-4 hens" but can really only hold 1 or 2) near where my other chickens live. Everyone is doing great and I'm excited when I can move everyone back into the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom