How to care for pullet with broken foot?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, this is a 3-month old mix breed pullet who I found with a broken foot the other day. (Not sure how it happened, but I hope it is not because I stepped on her.) She is now in a cage with a gentle rabbit buck (due to lack of available cages) and she seems pretty calm there. She will get up on one foot to eat and drink. Should she be moved to a slightly higher traffic area - the nursery trough in the third picture (there is an older, hunchback pullet who stays there), or left where she is? Is there anything else that can be done for her, or just wait until it heals?
20230112_135432.jpg
20230112_135442.jpg
20230112_135532.jpg

Hard to tell, looks like she may have a fracture or break of the Tarsometatarsus?
I'd watch it for a day and see if it swells up a lot, if not, then do some reading/research and decide if she'd benefit from the foot and leg being wrapped to help stabilize it.
Wrapping can be iffy at times, you do need to check frequently to make sure there's no swelling, the wrap is not too tight and change if it gets wet or heavily soiled.
I've wrapped legs to stabilize, but I've also left unwrapped too. You're there to best access what she needs.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

1673585043825.jpeg

Hard to tell, looks like she may have a fracture or break of the Tarsometatarsus?
I'd watch it for a day and see if it swells up a lot, if not, then do some reading/research and decide if she'd benefit from the foot and leg being wrapped to help stabilize it.
Wrapping can be iffy at times, you do need to check frequently to make sure there's no swelling, the wrap is not too tight and change if it gets wet or heavily soiled.
I've wrapped legs to stabilize, but I've also left unwrapped too. You're there to best access what she needs.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

View attachment 3374058
Thanks for your attentiveness. I'm not sure how it would be wrapped though. She did put weight on it for just a second tonight.

Hi all, just wanted to update you on this pullet. It's been 2.5 weeks and she 'asked' to leave her cage to rejoin the flock. She appears to have normal mobility. I can't think of what would have snapped her leg like that, except for me or possibly a billy goat stepping on her foot.
20230126_170956.jpg
20230126_171048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom