How to Feed Cornish Game Hen chicks?

So thanks to the genetics of the game bird's contribution of large breast muscles, butchering at about 3 weeks yield a 'Cornish Game Hen'. Hen is a misnomer because they could be any sex.
Hoovers and McMurray are selling sexed pullets for "Cornish Game Hens." So they really are just females in this case, although "pullet" would be much more accurate than "hen" for a bird that only lives 3 weeks.

I don't know about the ones sold already-butchered in the grocery stores, whether they are just females (leaving the males to be grown to a larger size) or whether they are a mix (which would save the cost of paying someone to sex the day-old chicks or sort the 3-week chicks.)

Hoovers and McMurray are selling sexed pullets for "Cornish Game Hens." So they really are just females in this case, although "pullet" would be much more accurate than "hen" for a bird that only lives 3 weeks.

I don't know about the ones sold already-butchered in the grocery stores, whether they are just females (leaving the males to be grown to a larger size) or whether they are a mix (which would save the cost of paying someone to sex the day-old chicks or sort the 3-week chicks.)
So true referencing the pullet vs. hen.
Commercially, as in grocery store, fast food, restaurant chicken, will normally be any sex. It just doesn't matter because, as you say, they just don't live long enough for it to make any difference. I can imagine that hatcheries that sell 'backyard chickens' by sexing them (and they already employ people who are good at it) they can sell something that is described accurately by sex.

Back
Top Bottom